Calculating Constants for Conservative Vector Field F

In summary, the force field F=(\muz + y -x)i + (x-\lambdaz)j + (z+(\lambda-2)y - \mux)k) is conservative if and only if the line integral (F.dx) along the straight line from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) is zero, and the line integral (F.dx) along the path x(t)=(t,t,t^2) from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) is also zero.
Bennyboymalon
We are told that the force field F=([tex]\mu[/tex]z + y -x)i + (x-[tex]\lambda[/tex]z)j + (z+([tex]\lambda[/tex]-2)y - [tex]\mu[/tex]x)k

Having already calculated in the previous parts of the question
1:the line integral (F.dx) along the straight line from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1)
2:the line integral (F.dx) along the path x(t)=(t,t,t^2) from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1)

returning the answers
1: 0
2: ([tex]\lambda[/tex] - [tex]\mu[/tex] - 1)/3

The final part of the question (which I need help on please!) asks to calculate values for [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] for which F is conservative.

I know that F.dx =0 for a conservative field and that the value of the line integral is path independant. Can therefore equate the answer of part 2 to zero, thus returning;

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1 + [tex]\mu[/tex] and/or [tex]\mu[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex] - 1

but then how is this useful?
Could use curl F = 0 but curl is a vector and so not useful in returning scalar values for the two constants.
Could calculate an expression for f (x,y,z) as gradf=F but i have tried this and it gets pretty complicated and of course don't have any numerical value to equate this to, so that subbing in expressions for the constants could help return a value for each. I'm going to keep trying it but any hints on how to solve this problem would be much appreciated!
many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

First, use your results to write [tex]\mathbf{F}[/tex] as a function of the parameter [tex]\lambda[/tex] alone (or only in terms of [tex]\mu[/tex], whichever you prefer. By doing this you have elimnated one variable.

The reason for this is that, as you know, this is a necessary condition for the vector field to be conservative. However, it may not be a sufficient one. Still, the elimination of one variable is a good step.

Next, you can apply one of the methods you stated - I would personally suggest evaluating the cross product: [tex]\nabla\times\mathbf{F}=0[/tex]. This gives you three equations in terms of x,y,z and [tex]\lambda[/tex]. These should hold for all values of x,y,z.

Now two things can happen. Either from these equations you can solve for a particular [tex]\lambda[/tex], which is ofcourse what you would like in the first place. Or you get an equations that reduces to something like: [tex]\lambda= a*x[/tex]. That is, you cannot eliminate the last variable. In that case you are not dealing with a particular value for [tex]\lambda[/tex] for which the field is conservative, but a whole range - which is perfectly fine by the way.

Thanks for your quick reply! I have calculated curl f and found it to be;

(z-x(1+[tex]\mu[/tex])+2[tex]\mu[/tex])i + (-x-z+[tex]\mu[/tex]y)j + (x-z(1+2[tex]\mu[/tex])k

which is = 0 for a conservative field. So how then can I solve this vector expression to get a value for [tex]\mu[/tex]. Do i have to do the modulus of curl F and go from there? I'm a little confused.

Note that your answer is a vector. So you actually have to set the curl equal to the null vector, ie. 0*i + 0*j + 0*k. So strictly speaking, it is indeed not equal to the number 0 ;).

In other words, each component of the vector needs to be zero "by itself". This gives you three equations.

Fantastic, I thought it was probably that and have got some answers. If you wanted to know;
[tex]\mu[/tex] = 0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]= 1
which i have then re-entered into the original definiton of F, and it does indeed return that the integral of F. dx is = 0.
Thank you very much for your help! Much appreciated! :)

Your welcome :)

1. What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a type of vector field where the line integral of the vector field over a closed curve is equal to zero. This means that the work done by the field is independent of the path taken, and only depends on the endpoints of the curve.

2. How do you calculate the curl of a conservative vector field?

The curl of a conservative vector field is always equal to zero. This is because a conservative vector field is a special case where the curl is equal to the negative gradient of a scalar potential function.

3. Can a conservative vector field have non-zero divergence?

No, a conservative vector field must have zero divergence. This is because a conservative vector field can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar potential function, and the divergence of a gradient is always equal to zero.

4. How do you determine if a vector field is conservative?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, you can use the curl test or the line integral test. The curl test involves taking the curl of the vector field and seeing if it is equal to zero. The line integral test involves calculating the line integral of the vector field over a closed curve and seeing if it is equal to zero.

5. What are the applications of conservative vector fields?

Conservative vector fields have many applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used to model fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and gravitational fields. They are also used in the study of conservative forces and the conservation of energy.