1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservative Work

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    I have a force vector that is [tex]F = (x^2 + y)i + (y^2 + x)j +ze^z k)[/tex] and I am supposed to find the work done from (1,0,0) to (1,0,1). The question gives a bunch of paths to integrate, but I used the curl and found that the force was conservative (hence path independent), so I was going to make a function of x,y,z based on F.

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = x^2 + y[/tex]

[tex]f(x,y,z) = (1/3)x^3 +xy+g(y,z)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=x+\frac{\partial g}{\partial y} = y^2 +x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y} = y^2[/tex]

[tex]g(y,z)= (1/3)y^3 +h(z)[/tex]

so now continue to build the function

[tex]f(x,y,z)=(1/3)x^3 +xy+(1/3)y^3 + h(z)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = 0 + \frac{\partial h}{\partial z} = ze^z[/tex]

solve by parts to get

[tex]h(z)=ze^z - \int e^z dz = e^z(z-1)[/tex]

[tex]f(x,y,z)=(1/3)x^3 + xy+(1/3)y^3 + e^z(z-1)[/tex]

Now I know that the last part is the part that I screwed up because [tex]f_z[/tex] is supposed to equal ze^z, and it doesn't. What I can't figure out is what I screwed up. Anyone see it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2
    No I get the same answer as you, dx=dy=0, so the only term left in [tex]\int_{1,0,0}^{1,0,1}{F.dl}[/tex] is [tex]\int_{0}^{1}{z e^{z} dz}[/tex], which gets you [tex][e^z(z-1)]_{0}^{1} = -1[/tex]. Why should it be ze^z? df is an element of work done, not dF.
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Don't you have to regain F with its respective partials? Taking the partial of the function with respect to x gives [tex]x^2 + y[/tex], which is the x (or M) term; with respect to y gives [tex]y^2 + x[/tex], which is the y (or N) term; yet, with repsect to z it is [tex]e^z+ze^z-e^z[/tex] (errr... whoops I just realized it did work out - for some reason I assumed it didn't).

It would give +1 though, since evaluating gives 0--1=1.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  5. Nov 16, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you know the force is conservative, you know the work done is independent of the path. Integrate F along the straight line from (1, 0, 0) to (0, 0, 1): x= 1, y= 0, z= t. dx= 0, dy= 0, dz= dt so the integral is
    [tex]\int_0^1 te^t dt[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?