1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conserved current; Klein-Gordon

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1

Landau

Science Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the Lagrangian density of a complex relativistic scalar field
    [itex]\mathcal L=\frac{1}{2}\partial^\nu\phi^{*}\partial_\nu\phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^{*}\phi[/itex]
    where * stands for complex conjugation, compute the conserved current (using Noether's theorem).

2. Relevant equations

I can (should) use [itex]J^k=-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi_I)}\phi_I[/itex], where summation over I is implied (which just means we have two terms, one for [itex]\phi[/itex] and one for [itex]\phi^{*}[/itex]).

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I computed [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi)}=\partial^k\phi^{*}[/itex], and similarly [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi^{*})}=\partial^k\phi[/itex].

Combining these, we simply get [itex]J^k=-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi_I)}\phi_I=-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi)}\phi-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi^*)}\phi^*=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial^k\phi^{*}\phi+\partial^k\phi\phi^{*}\right)[/itex]

But the correct answer should be [itex]=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial^k\phi^{*}\phi-\partial^k\phi\phi^{*}\right)[/itex], differing in a minus sign.

(Just looking at the Lagrangian, [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\phi^*[/itex] are symmetric, right? So the terms in the conserved current should also come in symmetric...but in the correct answer they aren't.)

Apparently [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi^{*})}=-\partial^k\phi[/itex]?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No.

While [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\phi^*[/itex] appear symmetrically in the Lagrangian, they don't come into play symmetrically in the application of Noether's theorem to a Klein-Gordon system.

The Lagrangian is invariant under the continuous transformation [itex]\phi \rightarrow e^{i\alpha} \phi[/itex], which means [itex]\phi^* \rightarrow e^{-i\alpha} \phi^*[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook