Conserved current; Klein-Gordon

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a conserved current using Noether's theorem in the context of a complex relativistic scalar field with a given Lagrangian density. The attempt at a solution involves computing the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the field and its complex conjugate, and combining them to obtain the conserved current. However, the correct answer differs by a minus sign due to the asymmetric application of Noether's theorem to the system.
Landau
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Given the Lagrangian density of a complex relativistic scalar field
[itex]\mathcal L=\frac{1}{2}\partial^\nu\phi^{*}\partial_\nu\phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^{*}\phi[/itex]
where * stands for complex conjugation, compute the conserved current (using Noether's theorem).

Homework Equations

I can (should) use [itex]J^k=-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi_I)}\phi_I[/itex], where summation over I is implied (which just means we have two terms, one for [itex]\phi[/itex] and one for [itex]\phi^{*}[/itex]).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I computed [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi)}=\partial^k\phi^{*}[/itex], and similarly [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi^{*})}=\partial^k\phi[/itex].

Combining these, we simply get [itex]J^k=-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi_I)}\phi_I=-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi)}\phi-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi^*)}\phi^*=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial^k\phi^{*}\phi+\partial^k\phi\phi^{*}\right)[/itex]

But the correct answer should be [itex]=-\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial^k\phi^{*}\phi-\partial^k\phi\phi^{*}\right)[/itex], differing in a minus sign.

(Just looking at the Lagrangian, [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\phi^*[/itex] are symmetric, right? So the terms in the conserved current should also come in symmetric...but in the correct answer they aren't.)

Apparently [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi^{*})}=-\partial^k\phi[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_k \phi^{*})}=-\partial^k\phi[/itex]?

No.

While [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\phi^*[/itex] appear symmetrically in the Lagrangian, they don't come into play symmetrically in the application of Noether's theorem to a Klein-Gordon system.

The Lagrangian is invariant under the continuous transformation [itex]\phi \rightarrow e^{i\alpha} \phi[/itex], which means [itex]\phi^* \rightarrow e^{-i\alpha} \phi^*[/itex].

What is a conserved current?

A conserved current is a mathematical term used in physics to represent a quantity that remains constant over time. In other words, it is a physical property or quantity that does not change or "conserve" throughout a system's evolution.

What is the significance of a conserved current in physics?

Conserved currents play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws and principles of physics. They are used to describe symmetries in physical systems and are closely related to the conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum. Conserved currents also allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and fields in a given physical system.

What is the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles, such as mesons, in quantum field theory. It was first proposed by physicist Oskar Klein and mathematician Walter Gordon in the 1920s and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

How is the conserved current related to the Klein-Gordon equation?

The conserved current is related to the Klein-Gordon equation through Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there is a corresponding conserved current. In the case of the Klein-Gordon equation, the conserved current is related to the symmetry of translation in space and time.

What are some practical applications of the Klein-Gordon equation and conserved currents?

The Klein-Gordon equation and conserved currents have many practical applications in physics, particularly in particle physics and cosmology. They are used to study the behavior of particles and fields in high-energy collisions, to understand the evolution of the universe, and to develop new technologies, such as particle accelerators and detectors. They also have applications in condensed matter physics, such as in the study of superconductivity.