Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Conserved quantities in GR

1. Nov 18, 2017 #1
    Hello! I am reading about spherical geometry and for a static system and based on the metric, ##p_0## and ##p_\phi## are constant of motion. I am not sure I understand in which sense are they constant? The energy of a particle measured by an observer depends on the metric (so on its position) in space. So ##p_0## is not the energy of the particle (can't even be measured I think). Can someone explain this to me a bit more? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

From what source? Please give a specific reference.

They are constants of geodesic motion.

"Constant" means "does not change".

No, it doesn't. It depends on the 4-momentum of the particle and the 4-velocity of the observer.

Not the energy measured by an observer that is (momentarily) co-located with the particle, no--at least, assuming the observer and the particle are not at infinity.

Yes, it can, but it's not as straightforward as an observer co-located just measuring the particle's energy.

It would help greatly if you would give a specific reference and show some math. You should particularly focus on the actual mathematical expression for ##p_0##. What quantities occur in it? What do those quantities mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted