1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conserved quantity

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what condition must satisfy the potential so a Lagrangian [tex] m \dot q \dot q - V(q) [/tex]

has as a conserved quantity [tex] A(q,p)=qp [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] A(q,p)=qp [/tex] [tex] m \dot q \dot q - V(q) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

since we have the conserved quantity A(q,p)=qp [/tex] i believe that a condition for the potential is to be scale-invariant [tex] v(cq)=V(q)c [/tex] for any constant 'c'

the other attempt to solution is this, since 'A' is a conserved quantity then the Poisson brackets should vanish so [tex] {A,H}=0 [/tex] using the definition of Poisson bracket i should get an ODe for the potential V(q).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2
    Interesting problem, I tried the poisson brackets got a solution check it out if it makes sense to you.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q}A \frac{\partial}{\partial p}H - \frac{\partial}{\partial p}A \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V = 0[/tex]

[tex]p\frac{\partial}{\partial p}H - q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V = 0[/tex]

[tex]m\dot q\frac{\partial m\dot q^2}{\partial m\dot q} - q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V = 0[/tex]

[tex]2\left(\frac{\partial q}{\partial t}\right)^2 = q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V [/tex]

Now left term is time dependant and the right term is time independant for this DE to hold for all time both of them must be equal to a constant say [tex]C[/tex]

[tex]C = q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V[/tex]

which leaves us with

[tex]V(q) = C\ln(q) + C_{1}[/tex]

does this make sense to you? I saw no one gave this one a shot so I tried, but I am not entirely sure.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook