Conditions for Lagrangian Conserved Quantity A(q,p)=qp

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
In summary, the potential must satisfy the condition of being scale-invariant, v(cq)=V(q)c, for any constant 'c' in order for the Lagrangian m \dot q \dot q - V(q) to have a conserved quantity A(q,p)=qp. Another attempt at a solution involves using the definition of Poisson brackets to get an ODe for the potential V(q), which leads to the solution V(q) = C\ln(q) + C_{1}.
zetafunction

Homework Statement

what condition must satisfy the potential so a Lagrangian [tex] m \dot q \dot q - V(q) [/tex]

has as a conserved quantity [tex] A(q,p)=qp [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] A(q,p)=qp [/tex] [tex] m \dot q \dot q - V(q) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

since we have the conserved quantity A(q,p)=qp [/tex] i believe that a condition for the potential is to be scale-invariant [tex] v(cq)=V(q)c [/tex] for any constant 'c'

the other attempt to solution is this, since 'A' is a conserved quantity then the Poisson brackets should vanish so [tex] {A,H}=0 [/tex] using the definition of Poisson bracket i should get an ODe for the potential V(q).

Physics news on Phys.org
zetafunction said:

Homework Statement

what condition must satisfy the potential so a Lagrangian [tex] m \dot q \dot q - V(q) [/tex]

has as a conserved quantity [tex] A(q,p)=qp [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] A(q,p)=qp [/tex] [tex] m \dot q \dot q - V(q) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

since we have the conserved quantity A(q,p)=qp [/tex] i believe that a condition for the potential is to be scale-invariant [tex] v(cq)=V(q)c [/tex] for any constant 'c'

the other attempt to solution is this, since 'A' is a conserved quantity then the Poisson brackets should vanish so [tex] {A,H}=0 [/tex] using the definition of Poisson bracket i should get an ODe for the potential V(q).

Interesting problem, I tried the poisson brackets got a solution check it out if it makes sense to you.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q}A \frac{\partial}{\partial p}H - \frac{\partial}{\partial p}A \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V = 0[/tex]

[tex]p\frac{\partial}{\partial p}H - q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V = 0[/tex]

[tex]m\dot q\frac{\partial m\dot q^2}{\partial m\dot q} - q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V = 0[/tex]

[tex]2\left(\frac{\partial q}{\partial t}\right)^2 = q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V [/tex]

Now left term is time dependant and the right term is time independant for this DE to hold for all time both of them must be equal to a constant say [tex]C[/tex]

[tex]C = q \frac{\partial}{\partial q}V[/tex]

which leaves us with

[tex]V(q) = C\ln(q) + C_{1}[/tex]

does this make sense to you? I saw no one gave this one a shot so I tried, but I am not entirely sure.

Last edited:

1. What is a Lagrangian conserved quantity?

A Lagrangian conserved quantity is a physical quantity that remains constant throughout the motion of a system, even when external forces are acting on it. It can be calculated using the Lagrangian of the system, which is a mathematical function that describes the motion of the system in terms of its generalized coordinates and velocities.

2. How is the conserved quantity A(q,p)=qp derived?

The conserved quantity A(q,p)=qp is derived from the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of differential equations that describe the dynamics of a system. By taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the generalized coordinates and velocities, the conserved quantity can be expressed as the product of the generalized coordinates and momenta.

3. What are the conditions for a conserved quantity to be Lagrangian?

For a quantity to be Lagrangian conserved, it must satisfy the condition that its time derivative is equal to zero. This means that the quantity does not change over time, even when the system is subject to external forces. Additionally, the quantity must be able to be expressed as a function of the generalized coordinates and momenta.

4. Can Lagrangian conserved quantities be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Yes, Lagrangian conserved quantities can be used to predict the behavior of a system. Since these quantities remain constant throughout the motion of a system, they provide valuable information about the system's dynamics and can be used to make predictions about its future behavior.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lagrangian conserved quantities?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Lagrangian conserved quantities. For example, in classical mechanics, the conservation of energy and momentum are both Lagrangian conserved quantities. In quantum mechanics, the conservation of angular momentum is also a Lagrangian conserved quantity. These principles are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to understand and predict the behavior of systems.