Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservitive electric fields

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    I'm being taught electromagnetism at university, but there's one definition that has been left slightly ambiguous for an electric field to be conservative i've been taught that
    1) [tex]\nabla[/tex]xE = 0
    But ive also been taught that
    2) [tex]\oint[/tex] E.dl = 0

But im not sure if 1) & 2) have to be true for it to be conservitive.
    OR that if 1) is true then 2) is true (and visa versa) ie, 1) [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] 2)

So do i have to test for both to check the field is conservitive, or just one and say it implies the other.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

2. is a definition, which is equivalent to saying a vector field E is conservative if is can be written as the gradient of some scalar field.
    1. can be shown to be equivalent to 2. by writing [itex]\mathbf{E}=\nabla\phi[/itex] and taking the curl.

So, in short, no you don't need to test both. Most of the time it's a lot easier to calculate 1. to check whether the vector field is conservative.

4. Nov 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks dude :)

5. Nov 18, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to what cristo said, knowing that (2) is true for a conservative field can make later calculations easier, but as cristo said, (1) is usually easier to calculate. So if you're asked to prove whether a vector field is conservative it is usually best to use (1), but it is also useful to know (2) as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?