Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservitive electric fields

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    I'm being taught electromagnetism at university, but there's one definition that has been left slightly ambiguous for an electric field to be conservative i've been taught that
    1) [tex]\nabla[/tex]xE = 0
    But ive also been taught that
    2) [tex]\oint[/tex] E.dl = 0

But im not sure if 1) & 2) have to be true for it to be conservitive.
    OR that if 1) is true then 2) is true (and visa versa) ie, 1) [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] 2)

So do i have to test for both to check the field is conservitive, or just one and say it implies the other.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

2. is a definition, which is equivalent to saying a vector field E is conservative if is can be written as the gradient of some scalar field.
    1. can be shown to be equivalent to 2. by writing [itex]\mathbf{E}=\nabla\phi[/itex] and taking the curl.

So, in short, no you don't need to test both. Most of the time it's a lot easier to calculate 1. to check whether the vector field is conservative.

4. Nov 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks dude :)

5. Nov 18, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to what cristo said, knowing that (2) is true for a conservative field can make later calculations easier, but as cristo said, (1) is usually easier to calculate. So if you're asked to prove whether a vector field is conservative it is usually best to use (1), but it is also useful to know (2) as well.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook