Consider a satellite in uniform circular orbit around the Earth, and then consider

• Thread starter vipson231
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Question is in attachment
Can someone explain to me what the infinity sign is I'm new to this topic.

All I know is that as a satellite goes to a higher orbit that the velocity decreases.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

It looks like that "infinity" sign is really a greek letter omega, "ω". It is the symbol used for angular velocity when given in terms of radians.

Oh ok. The only knowledge i have of angular velocity is it determines how fast something is turning. So wouldn't the angular velocity be proportional to the velocity and since the satellite is going to a higher orbital, the speed would thus decrease and so if angular velocity is decreasing, wouldn't the velocity be decreasing as well? =}

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Angular velocity depends on both the radius (of the orbit) and the velocity. I would expect your textbook to have a discussion of how ω, v and r are related. There should be other important information in the book's sections on Newton's Law of Gravitation and also Keppler's Laws. If you're really stuck on understanding this problem, you'll want to go over those parts of your book. Post back with questions if you don't follow it.