Consider the vector Vμ(3,1)

• Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
Now, I am given the dot product formula:VμVμ = gμv VμVv And I need to use the fact that gμv is the 2x2 identity matrix and Vv = (3,1) to manipulate the formula and find Vμ. In summary, to find Vμ from the given vector Vμ(3,1) and using the dot product formula, we can manipulate the formula using the fact that gμv is the 2x2 identity matrix and Vv = (3,1). This allows us to solve for Vμ and obtain the value of (3,1) as the result.
andrey21
Consider the vector Vμ(3,1)
Find VμVμ

Now here is my attempt

Using the following:

Vμ=gμvVv

I could calculate:
Vv=(3,1)

But how can I now manipulate this to obtain Vμ

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the fact that:

gμv= 2x2 identity matrixand the dot product is given by:

VμVμ=gμv VμVv

Therefore:

Vμ=gμvVv

So is it correct to say:

Vμ= (3,1)

You really need to give some context here, and enlighten us on what the notation means. For example, what does Vμ(3, 1) mean? Also, how is Vμ different from Vμ? Are you just being sloppy with subscripts and superscripts?
Why are you using convoluted notation such as gμv for the 2x2 identity matrix, when I2 is much clearer?

I suspect that μ and v might be bases, but nowhere in your problem description does it say what these are.

Im told to consider the specific example of the vector:

Vμ = (3,1) in the Cartesian coordinates.

gμv is the metric tensor

Yes I believe they are bases, the question is based around raising and lowering the index in tensors

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What is the notation Vμ(3,1) in this context?

The notation Vμ(3,1) represents a vector with two components, 3 and 1, in the μ direction. This notation is commonly used in physics and mathematics to represent vectors with multiple components.

3. How is Vμ(3,1) different from a regular number?

A regular number has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Additionally, a regular number is represented by a single value, while a vector is represented by multiple components.

4. Can you give an example of a real-life application of Vμ(3,1)?

One example is in physics, where Vμ(3,1) can represent the velocity of an object moving in the μ direction with a magnitude of 3 units per second and a direction of 1 degree. This vector can be used to calculate the object's position and trajectory.

5. How is Vμ(3,1) used in vector operations?

Vμ(3,1) can be used in vector addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication operations. In vector addition, each component of Vμ(3,1) is added to the corresponding component of another vector. In scalar multiplication, each component of Vμ(3,1) is multiplied by a scalar value.