1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Considering getting an MBA

1. Jun 24, 2006 #1
    I am considering getting an MBA. They have a pretty easy program here at WVU where you can get an MBA in 14 months. If I have a mechanical engineering degree (and maybe a math degree) with an MBA all from the same college, what kindda jobs will I be able to do that aren't engineering?
    I looked at some financial positions and they usually require a B.S in finance or similar. Will a degree in Engineering (or Engineering + math) and an MBA substitute for the B.S in finance or accounting?
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How old are you?

Are you in your third year yet?
  4. Jun 24, 2006 #3
    I'm 19. Next year (06/07) will be my third year in college, but I'll be done with my mechanical engineering degree after that. I'll need about 5 more classes to get a math degree and I found out that my university offers an MBA program that lasts 14 months (summer/fall/spring/summer). So here are my choices:

1. finish engineering then start with the MBA program in the summer and squeeze in the 5 math classes that I need for the degree while getting the MBA.

I can then go to grad school or go out and get a job.

2. Go to grad school or get a job right after next year without doing option 1.

The deciding factor here will be whether the MBA + math degree are worth the extra year or not. BTW, the extra year will be free (ie. I won't have to pay for tuition), but the opportunity cost of the year is deffinately worth a lot. This is why I was asking about the extra advantages of having an MBA. What kind of extra jobs will it allow me to have? I like finance, so will I be able to do any of that with just an MBA and no finance degree?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  5. Jun 25, 2006 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1 year is a big opportunity cost?

I never thought that was big. That's quite small for the extra you're getting.

Whether or not it will help you get a job depends on how credible your school is. If it's a school where they hand out degrees like paper with words on it, then maybe not.
  6. Jun 25, 2006 #5
    If I don't go to grad school and just get a job the opportunity cost will be about $60,000. If I go to grad school, it'll be even higher.

Do you know how credible WVU is thought to be? I honestly think it's easy, but that's just me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?