Considering move to BSc from BE

• Thread starter peanut Bond
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bsc
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to major in Electrical Engineering instead of a dual degree in Engineering and Physics. They are questioning if engineering will become more exciting in the later years and considering transferring into physics. The group also discusses the importance of having a degree in a specific field for employment opportunities.
peanut Bond
Hey guys,

I've just started my second year of university majoring in Electrical Engineering. I was originally considering a dual degree in Engineering and Science (physics) but I changed my mind because it only allows for the bare minimum of Science subjects to be taken. Although Physics and Maths really interest me I chose engineering because it seems like I'll be more employable with a BE rather than BSc. Lately though I just haven't been able to get excited about engineering in the same way as I did with a subject like physics.

Does electrical engineering get much more exciting in third and fourth year? What are your thoughts on transferring from engineering into physics?

Just a side note: lots of the lecturers at my uni say that it doesn't really matter what you get your degree in, so long as you went to university. Reading around these forums a bit makes me think that this isn't really true, though. Can anyone shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks so much!Electrical engineering can become more exciting as you get further into your degree. In third and fourth year, you will be dealing with more complex topics in the field such as circuit analysis, electromagnetism, and control systems. You may also have more opportunities to work on hands-on projects with real world applications.Transfering from engineering into physics can be difficult if you are not already enrolled in the dual degree program. Depending on the school, you may be able to transfer if you meet certain requirements. It is important to check with your university's admissions office before making any decisions. It is true that having a college degree can be beneficial when it comes to finding employment. However, having a degree in a specific field can open up new career opportunities that would not be available otherwise. Employers tend to look for applicants who have experience and knowledge in the specific field they are hiring for. They may also be more likely to hire someone with a degree in that field than a degree in a different field.

What is the difference between a BSc and a BE degree?

A BSc (Bachelor of Science) degree typically focuses on scientific and technical subjects, while a BE (Bachelor of Engineering) degree focuses on engineering principles and applications. BSc degrees are often more theoretical and research-oriented, while BE degrees are more practical and application-based.

What are the benefits of switching from a BE to a BSc degree?

Switching from a BE to a BSc degree can provide a broader and more in-depth understanding of scientific concepts and theories, as well as open up opportunities for research and graduate studies. BSc degrees also have a wider range of career options, including fields such as healthcare, environmental science, and data analysis.

Will my credits from a BE degree transfer to a BSc program?

This will depend on the specific university and program you are considering. In general, many courses from a BE degree will likely transfer to a BSc program, especially if they are in similar subject areas. However, it is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine which credits will transfer and how they will apply towards your BSc degree.

Is a BSc degree more difficult than a BE degree?

Both BSc and BE degrees can be challenging in their own ways. BSc degrees may require more critical thinking and theoretical understanding, while BE degrees may involve more hands-on problem-solving and technical skills. Ultimately, the difficulty of either degree will depend on your personal strengths and interests.

Can I switch from a BE to a BSc degree after starting my studies?

In most cases, it is possible to switch from a BE to a BSc degree after starting your studies. However, this will depend on the policies of the university and program you are enrolled in. It is important to consult with an academic advisor and carefully consider the potential impact on your academic progress and graduation timeline before making the switch.