1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consistency in physical data measurements(significant figures and decimal places)

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    Dear forum members,

forgive me if the post is out of place, but I am really lost with this subject.

I am told that when writing my lab reports I should report the measurements to the same number of significant figures and decimal places, and sometimes I find these two things contradictory.

For example,

if I have two measurements, let's say 0.044 meters and 0.12 meters, they both have the same number of significant figures(2), but a different number of decimal places. Then again if I round the first measurement to 0.04 it will have only one significant figure whereas the second measurement will have two.

Am I just misunderstanding this whole thing or where am I going wrong?

Please help me. Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook