1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Acc with two particles

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    Im having a problem with this question, which is probably rather simple but I am making a lot harder than it needs to be.

A high-speed train is traveling at 44.72m/s and it sees a sidecar a distance of 676m ahead. The sidecar is traveling with a constant velocity or 8.056m/s.

The question asks what the magnitude of the resulting constant deceleration must be if a collision is to be just avoided.

I took two of the derived C.A. equations and in each one had two unknowns which were x(final) and t.

I then equated the two equations and solved the linear system for t at which I arrived with an answer of 47.26s

From there it is quite easy to figure out the rest of the question, but I am not sure if I am doing this question the best way or even correctly for that matter.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure exactly what you did, but here are two ways to approach it:
    (1) Write the postions of each (sidecar and train) as a function of time. Set them equal, and solve for t. (This is what you tried, I believe.) Of course, the acceleration is a variable. Since the equation is a quadratic, you can find a constraint that will tell you the minimum acceleration that just avoids the collision.
    (2) Look at the motion from the frame of the sidecar and solve it directly with a kinematic equation.

And welcome to PF!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?