Calculating Motion with Constant Acceleration: Solving for Time and Distance

In summary, the body moving with constant acceleration covers a distance of 60.0m in 5.0s and has a velocity of 15.0m/s at the second point. The acceleration is 1.2 m/s^2 and the initial velocity is 9.0m/s. To find the time it has been in motion before reaching the first point, the initial velocity is assumed to be 0.0m/s.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

A body moving with constant acceleration in a straight line covers the distance between two points 60.0m apart in 5.0s. Its velocity as it passes the second point is 15.0m/s.

a) What is:
i) The acceleration of the object?
ii) Its initial velocity?

b) Assuming constant acceleration how long had it been in motion before it reached the first point?

c) How far is it from the starting point when it passes the second of the two points which are 60.0m apart?

Homework Equations

constant acceleration equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part a) where the acceleration = 1.2 m/s^2 and the initial velocity = 9.0m/s

Now I am having trouble with part B. (which is making part C tricky)

What I understand is that for part B the final velocity would be the the initial velocity from part A (after drawing a sketch) and the acceleration is constant. So I have two known quantities:

V(final) = 9.0 m/s
a = 1.2 m/s^2

I am missing a quantity to be able to solve for time, but where am I missing it?

The only thing I can think of is that is the initial velocity is 0.0 m/s , but I'm not sure this is logical.

Any idea?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, zero initial velocity. It says, "how long had it been in motion", which implies we are timing from the time it started moving.

Fantastic! Thank you.

1. What is constant acceleration motion?

Constant acceleration motion is a type of motion in which the acceleration of an object remains constant throughout the motion. This means that the velocity of the object increases or decreases by the same amount every second.

2. How is constant acceleration different from uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant velocity, meaning its speed and direction do not change. Constant acceleration motion, on the other hand, involves a change in velocity over time due to a constant acceleration.

3. What is the formula for calculating constant acceleration?

The formula for constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. Can an object have constant acceleration and zero velocity?

Yes, an object can have constant acceleration and zero velocity at the same time. This is known as the peak of the object's motion, where it reaches its highest point before changing direction and accelerating back towards the ground.

5. How is constant acceleration motion used in real life?

Constant acceleration motion is used in many real-life scenarios, such as a car accelerating from a stop, a roller coaster moving up and down its track, and a ball being thrown into the air. This type of motion is also important in understanding the laws of motion and how objects move in the universe.