How to Calculate Height and Velocity of a Tennis Ball on Mars?

In summary, a tennis ball hit directly upward on Mars, where the acceleration due to gravity is .379g and air resistance is negligible, returns to the same level after 8.5 seconds. Using the equations of motion for constant acceleration, the height above its original point is 33.5 meters and the initial velocity was 15.8 meters per second. The initial and final positions are both 0, allowing for the calculation of the initial velocity. The time for the ball to reach its highest point with no air resistance is 4.25 seconds.
SoulInNeed
1. A tennis ball on Mars, where the acceleration due to gravity is .379g and air resistance is negligible, is hit directly upward and returns to the same level 8.5 s later. (a) How high above its original point did the ball go? (b) How fast was it moving just after being hit?

2. v (y)= v (0y) + (a (y) * t)
y=y (0) + v (0y)t + .5 a(y) t^2
v^2 (y)= v^2 (0y) + 2a(y) (y-y(0))
They're the equations of motion for constant acceleration

3. Well, the acceleration of gravity on Mars is 3.7 m/s^2. The answers are (a) 33.5 m, and (b) 15.8 m/s. I'm not sure how they got these answers, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the default format in the homework section has ending bold marks for a reason. It's a bit unpleasant to read an entire bold paragraph.

Just think it through, you have the equation you need. The problem talks about time and position, you have a function for the position y(t).
Hint: say that your 8.5s = T then according to the problem y(0) = y(T)

Oddbio said:
First of all, the default format in the homework section has ending bold marks for a reason. It's a bit unpleasant to read an entire bold paragraph.

Just think it through, you have the equation you need. The problem talks about time and position, you have a function for the position y(t).
Hint: say that your 8.5s = T then according to the problem y(0) = y(T)
Sorry for the bad format, I'm still trying to get the hang of the forum.

OK, I'm trying to understand the logic behind this. From what I gathered in the textbook, to get the highest point, just assume that the final velocity is 0, and figure it out from there, but the original velocity needs to be known, which isn't in this case. Am I at least on the right track? Sorry for the dumbness, but I'm just getting back into Physics after multiple years away.

So use one of the equations to calculate the initial speed and use another to calculate height.

Well you could do it in pieces like that where the final velocity is zero.
In that case, what is the time for the ball to go up to it's highest point? (with no air resistance)
You shouldn't need any equations for that.

oddbio said:
well you could do it in pieces like that where the final velocity is zero.
In that case, what is the time for the ball to go up to it's highest point? (with no air resistance)
you shouldn't need any equations for that.
4.25?

OK, I got it. I feel like a complete idiot, man, lol. The initial position (y 0) is 0, and the final position (y) is 0. I use the second equation to find the initial velocity. I then plug it into the final equation, and make the final velocity 0, and I get both of them. Wow, how stupid of me.

1. What is constant acceleration on Mars?

Constant acceleration on Mars refers to the steady increase in velocity of an object as it moves on the surface of Mars. This is due to the gravitational pull of the planet.

2. How does constant acceleration on Mars differ from Earth?

Constant acceleration on Mars is different from Earth because Mars has a lower gravitational pull compared to Earth. This means that objects will experience a slower rate of acceleration on Mars compared to Earth.

3. How does the atmosphere of Mars affect constant acceleration?

The thin atmosphere of Mars has a minimal effect on constant acceleration. However, it can slightly alter the trajectory of an object due to air resistance.

4. Is the constant acceleration on Mars the same everywhere on the planet?

No, the constant acceleration on Mars can vary slightly depending on the altitude and location on the planet. It is strongest at the surface and decreases slightly as altitude increases.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its constant acceleration on Mars?

The mass of an object does not affect its constant acceleration on Mars. This is because the force of gravity on an object is proportional to its mass, so the acceleration remains constant regardless of mass.