Constant acceleration physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car traveling under constant acceleration. The question is to find the acceleration, and the conversation includes attempts to solve the problem using equations such as v= v_o + a t and x = x_o + v_o t + 1/2 a t^2. Suggestions are given to solve for the acceleration by using the slope of the tangent at t = 8 seconds or by finding the distance the car travels between t = 8 and t = 12 seconds. A link to an introduction on Newtonian Mechanics is also provided for further understanding.
Gadget
Ok I have a question for everyone. Please help! I was given a graph with the problem, but I am going to try to put it in words. In the X-axis there is seconds. In the Y-axis there is meters. From 8 sec - 12 sec the car traveled 64 meters. The distance before the 64 meters is not given. It also states that the car is traveling under constant acceleration. Question is, what is the acceleration. I tried to solve it by first getting a velocity, 64 meters / 4 sec = 16 m/s, I used v= v_o + a t to get acceleration, a = 4 m/s^2, then I tried to use x = x_o + v_o t + 1/2 a t^2, but I realized that I can't use the v_o as zero because I am only taking the 4 sec not the entire 12 sec. What is it that I need to do. Find the velocity at 8 sec? How do you do that if a distance wasn't given to me?
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Gadget said:
Ok I have a question for everyone. Please help! I was given a graph with the problem, but I am going to try to put it in words. In the X-axis there is seconds. In the Y-axis there is meters. From 8 sec - 12 sec the car traveled 64 meters. The distance before the 64 meters is not given. It also states that the car is traveling under constant acceleration. Question is, what is the acceleration. I tried to solve it by first getting a velocity, 64 meters / 4 sec = 16 m/s, I used v= v_o + a t to get acceleration, a = 4 m/s^2, then I tried to use x = x_o + v_o t + 1/2 a t^2, but I realized that I can't use the v_o as zero because I am only taking the 4 sec not the entire 12 sec. What is it that I need to do. Find the velocity at 8 sec? How do you do that if a distance wasn't given to me?
Thank You
you're correct that under constant acceleration (a), the x position is given by:

[tex] x \ = \ x_{0} + v_{0} \Delta t + \frac{a ( \Delta t )^{2}}{2} [/tex]

or:

[tex] \left ( x - x_{0} \right ) \ = \ v_{0} \Delta t + \frac{a \left ( \Delta t \right )^{2}}{2} [/tex]

where Δt is the elapsed time from when the car was at initial position x0 to when it's at current position "x", and v0 is the car's (unknown) velocity when it was at initial position x0.

let x0 be the car position at time t0=8 sec. Then let x1 be the car position at time t1=10 sec, and let x2 be the car position at time t2=12 sec. Then you can form 2 equations in 2 unknowns (v0 and a) and solve for (a):

[tex] ( x_{1} - x_{0} ) \ = \ v_{0} ( t_{1} - t_{0} ) + \frac{a ( t_{1} - t_{0} )^{2}}{2} [/tex]

[tex] ( x_{2} - x_{0} ) \ = \ v_{0} ( t_{2} - t_{0} ) + \frac{a ( t_{2} - t_{0} )^{2}}{2} [/tex]

where:

(t1 - t0) = 10 - 8 = 2 sec
(x1 - x0) = Read From Graph
(t2 - t0) = 12 - 8 = 4 sec
(x2 - x0) = Read From Graph (= 64 meters which u already know)

SOLVE for (a) by placing these values in the above 2 equations and eliminating v0.

Last edited:
geosonel said:
... (x1 - x0) = Read From Graph ...
I wonder if you could read this from graph... :rolleyes:
Another hint if you like : You should assume at the time t_0 = 0, the car starts to go. That means at t_0 = 0s, v_0 = 0 m/s.
[tex]v = v_0 + at = at[/tex] as [tex]v_0 = 0 \mbox{m / s}[/tex]
so at t = 8 seconds [tex]v_8 = 8a[/tex].
Can you find the distance the car goes between t = 8 and t = 12 with respect to a? From there, you can easily solve the problem.
Hope you get it.
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
If you can get slop of the tangent at t = 8 second that will be velocity at that time.

Gadget said:
Thank You
Gadget, i know your question has been answered but nevertheless i would like to point your attention to this intro on Newtonian Physics. Perhaps it might be of some interest to you in the near future :smile: .
Newtonian Mechanics Intro

regards
marlon

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time, where the acceleration remains the same throughout the motion.

2. How is constant acceleration different from variable acceleration?

Constant acceleration means that the object's velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time, while variable acceleration means that the velocity changes by different amounts in each unit of time.

3. How do you calculate constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by using the equation a = (vf-vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of constant acceleration include a car accelerating at a steady rate on a straight road, a ball falling due to gravity, and a rocket launching into space.

5. How does constant acceleration affect an object's motion?

Constant acceleration causes an object's velocity to change by the same amount in each unit of time, resulting in a linear increase or decrease in speed depending on the direction of the acceleration. It also affects the object's displacement, as the distance covered will be directly proportional to the square of the time.