Constant Acceleration Problem Involving Two Different Objects

In summary: So, in summary, to determine the distance $d$ in terms of $v$, $a_1$, and $a_2$ that the car must stop in order to avoid a collision, we can use the equation:$$d = \frac{v_o^2}{2(a_2 - a_1)}$$
sb13

Homework Statement

A car is traveling in the +x direction with a speed v when the driver notices a car that is stopped in front of him a distance d. In order to avoid a collision, he immediately applies the brakes resulting in an acceleration -a1. At the same time, the parked car starts to accelerate in the +x direction with an acceleration of a2. Determine the distance d in terms of v, a1, and a2 if the cars are to just barely avoid a collision.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure which constant acceleration formulas to apply but here they all are, just in case:

(1) v=vo+at
(2) x-xo= vot+1/2at^2
(3) v^2= vo^2+2a(x-xo)
(4) x-xo= 1/2(vo+v)t
(5) x-xo=vt-1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not even sure where to begin, but I suppose I would take two of the equations above and make them equal to each other while solving for the distance d (which is x-xo). Since v= vo+at then substitute that into the 5th equation.
x-xo=(vo+at)t-1/2at^2, and change x-xo for d (just to simplify things)
d= (vo+at)t-1/2at^2,
incorporate another equation, equation 4
d= 1/2(vo+(vo+at)t (substitute v for vo+at)

solve for t
d=vot+at^2-1/2at^2
d=t(vo)+t^2(a-1/2a)
d/((vo)(a-1/2a))= t+t^2

I don't know what to do from there.
I don't know if I am heading in the right direction, and I don't know what to do because there are two different accelerations. Also, I don't know what the final answer is supposed to look like.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:For the car that is stopped in front of you, since it is not initially moving, we can say that $v_o=0$.We also know that the car has an acceleration of $a_2$ and so, using equation (1), we can say that the velocity of this car at time $t$ is:$$v_2 = a_2t$$Now we need to consider the time it takes for the car to reach a certain distance of $d$ away from the initial position. We can use equation (2) to solve this:$$d = \frac{1}{2}a_2t^2$$From this equation we can see that the time it takes for the car to reach this distance $d$ is:$$t = \sqrt{\frac{2d}{a_2}}$$Now, we need to consider the car that you are driving. We know that the initial velocity is $v_o$ and the acceleration is $a_1$. Using equation (3) we can say that the velocity of this car at the same time $t$ is: $$v = \sqrt{v_o^2 + 2a_1t}$$Now, since the two cars must just barely avoid a collision, they must be at the same distance from their initial positions when their velocities are equal. So, if we set the velocities of both cars to be equal we get: $$\sqrt{v_o^2 + 2a_1t} = a_2t$$Substituting in the expression for $t$ from above:$$\sqrt{v_o^2 + 2a_1 \sqrt{\frac{2d}{a_2}}} = a_2 \sqrt{\frac{2d}{a_2}}$$Rearranging this we get:$$d = \frac{v_o^2}{2(a_2 - a_1)}$$

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system.

How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented as a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the constant acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time period, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous acceleration can be calculated using derivatives, while average acceleration is calculated using the formula mentioned above.

How do you solve a constant acceleration problem involving two different objects?

To solve a constant acceleration problem involving two different objects, you must first identify the initial velocities, final velocities, and time intervals for each object. Then, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to calculate the acceleration for each object. You can also use the equation d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t² to determine the displacement of each object.

What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration involving two different objects?

One example of constant acceleration involving two different objects is when two cars are moving at different velocities and one car accelerates to overtake the other. Another example is when a rocket is launched and two different stages of the rocket have different accelerations. In both cases, the acceleration and displacement of each object can be calculated using the formulas mentioned above.