Constant Acceleration Problem

In summary: Car:When the car intersects the truck at time t=0, it has the x coordinate of 0.Truck:When the truck intersects the car at time t=0, it has the x coordinate of 0.
The1

Homework Statement

At the instant the traffic light turns green, a car that has been waiting at an intersection starts ahead with a constant acceleration of 2.80 m/s^2. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 17.0 m/s, overtakes and passes the car.

How far beyond its starting point does the car overtake the truck?

Homework Equations

One of the four constant acceleration equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to start this, but I think I need a graph to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need a graph to solve this problem, but a picture always helps.

In order to get help on this forum you need to show some work.

Can you list the variables you know and don't know?
Can you give me the equations of motion for one or both of the vehicles?

Give me something so I can know what is confusing you.

Well, I'm a bit lost on this question but here goes.

Car:
I think I use the equation X = 1/2*a*t[tex]^{2}[/tex] because X initial and V initial are 0.Of course I don't know how helpful this is as I don't have the time.

Truck:
All I know is the constant velocity is 17 m/s. The truck overtakes the car at X=0

The intersection is X=0 and t=0.

I need to know the distance it takes the car to overpass the truck, and at what velocity.

Again, I'm not to sure of the accuracy of this post

your post is accurate,
now, what is the equation of the coordinate X1 of the truck in fuction of time ?

now the truck intersects the car at t=0 X=0, that's true, but we need the second intersection time and distance.

let X(t) the coordinate of the car, let X1(t) the coordinate of the trucks,
what's the relation between X(t) and X1(t) when the car and truck intersect again ?

The1 said:
Well, I'm a bit lost on this question but here goes.

Car:
I think I use the equation X = 1/2*a*t[tex]^{2}[/tex] because X initial and V initial are 0.Of course I don't know how helpful this is as I don't have the time.

Truck:
All I know is the constant velocity is 17 m/s. The truck overtakes the car at X=0

The intersection is X=0 and t=0.

I need to know the distance it takes the car to overpass the truck, and at what velocity.

Again, I'm not to sure of the accuracy of this post

As tabchouri said, this sounds good. Now, what do we know about the x coordinates of both vehicles when they intersect?

1. What is a constant acceleration problem?

A constant acceleration problem is a type of physics problem in which an object experiences a constant acceleration over a specific period of time. This means that the object's velocity increases or decreases by the same amount every second.

2. How do you calculate acceleration in a constant acceleration problem?

To calculate acceleration in a constant acceleration problem, you can use the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration problems?

Some examples of real-life constant acceleration problems include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a baseball being thrown into the air, or a person jumping off a diving board.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in a constant acceleration problem?

In a constant acceleration problem, acceleration affects an object's motion by causing its velocity to change at a constant rate. This means that the object's speed and direction will change over time as it accelerates.

5. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform acceleration?

The terms constant acceleration and uniform acceleration are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Constant acceleration refers to a specific type of motion where acceleration remains constant over time, while uniform acceleration refers to any type of motion where acceleration is constant, whether it is changing or not.