1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Acceleration

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to do the following problem:

A car can accelerate and brake with constant acceleration, both with the magnitude (a). The car has a maximum velocity (v). The car needs to cover the distance (L), starting and ending at rest.

a) How long will it take the car to cover the distance if the maximum velocity (v) is NOT reached?

b) How long will it take the car to cover the distance if the maximum velocity (v) IS reached?

I only become increasingly confused the more I try to understand this question. If the car does not reach its maximum velocity in the first question, then how will it do so in the second when the acceleration and distance is a constant?

If I ignore (v), then i get this:

Can anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

I think what they meant in the questions is (a) solve it IF the car does not reach maximum velocity, (b) solve it IF the car does reach maximum velocity.
    so you don't know what are L,a,v, so you don't know which one is true, therefore you must solve both cases, but you can't say (a) is true and (b) is not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?