1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant accleration problem

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need help on this hw problem I cant seem to figure it out.
    A objects constant acceleration is north at 40 m/s^2. At time 0 its velocity vector is 15 m/s west at what time will the magnitude of the velocity be 30 m/s?

2. Relevant equations

This is the eq i used: delta T =(Vf-Vi)/a
    I set Ti as 0.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So I got 30-15/40= .375 secs

I also tried subtracting gravity from acceleration to give (30-15)/(40-9.8) =.496 secs

These are apparently wrong. what should i be doing?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2
    there is direction involved here so you cannot just pluck values into a formula

so the question nicely sets north (y-axis) and west (x-axis) for you.

so question wants the time when the MAGNITUDE of velocity is 30m/s, which means your x and y components of the velocity, will have to give you a resultant of 30m/s

notice your x-component velocity of 15m/s doesn't change since there is no acceleration in this direction, acceleration is only towards north (y-axis)

so in order to find the y-component velocity THAT will give you 30m/s resultant velocity, you have to use Pythagorean theorem as it is a triangle. draw it out and you will see

so its 302 = 152 + y2, where y is your velocity in y-axis direction

so solving, y = 26m/s

so now you use your formula ALONG THE Y-direction

time taken = { vf,along y-axis - vi, along y-axis } / a along y-axis
    which is

(26 - 0) / 40 = 0.65s , the initial velocity is 0 because the object is moving west, there is no y-direction velocity

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    ahhh, so i basically need to formulate the directional components before i can solve for t

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook