1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Angular Acceleration

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    Question:
    A flywheel has a constant angular acceleration of 2 rad/sec^2. During the 19 sec time period from t1 to t2 the wheel rotates through an angle of 15 radians. What was the magnitude of the angular velocity of the wheel at time t1?

Hint: let t1=0 sec, and t2=t

Equations:
    [tex]\vartheta - \vartheta_{0} = \omega_{0} t + \alpha t ^{2}[/tex]

My Work:
    [tex](15 radians) - (0 radians) = \omega_{0} (19 sec) + (2 \frac{rad}{sec^{2}})(19 sec )^{2}[/tex]

[tex](15 radians) - (2 \frac{rad}{sec^{2}})(19 sec )^{2} = \omega_{0} (19 sec)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(15 radians) - (2 \frac{rad}{sec^{2}})(19 sec )^{2}}{(19 sec)} = \omega_{0}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{0} = (-18.2)\frac{rad}{sec} = (18.2)\frac{rad}{sec} \ for \ magnitude; \ at \ t1[/tex]

Did I do everything right?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're good up to here.

You've miscalculated. You should get something close to 37 rad/s for the magnitude.

4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    I think your equation is wrong

Should it not be

theta(final) - theta(initial) = time * angular velocity(initial) + (1/2) * angular acceleration * time^2.

similar to the equation in linear motion?

5. Apr 26, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are right.
    That should be:
    [tex]\vartheta - \vartheta_{0} = \omega_{0} t + (1/2)\alpha t ^{2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?