1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant angular acceleration

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pulsar is a rapidly rotating neutron star that emits radio pulses with precise synchronization, there being one such pulse for each rotation of the star. The period T of rotation is found by measuring the time between pulses. At present, the pulsar in the central region of the Crab nebula has a period of rotation of T = 0.16000000 s, and this is observed to be increasing at the rate of 0.00000506 s/y.

If its angular acceleration is constant, in how many years will the pulsar stop rotating?
    already found
    angular acel to be -3.935x10^-11 rad/s^2
    wf = 39.269
    wi = 39.2699

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Im stumped as to how to find this, i had initially tried to use wf = wi + angular accel*t thinking that the t i solved for would be the value i wanted.

i did 39.269 = 39.2699+ -3.935x10^-11t
    that gave me 31559593.39 seconds then i did conversions to turn s into yrs which was that /60 s /60 min/24 hr/365d = 1.0007 yrs which is way to small it should be thousands of years shouldnt it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi shadowice,

I have not checked all your numbers here, but your two angular speeds you have are the angular speed at the initial point (wi) and one year later (wf). So when you calculated the time, you got back the original time of one year.

So instead, if we want to calculate the time when the pulsar stops, what angular speeds would be used in the equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook