The Science Behind Center of Mass: Exploring the Constant Motion Phenomenon

In summary, the center of mass remains stationary because the first derivative of the equation for the center of mass is zero.
Cyrus
Hi, I have another question on the center of mass this time. I read a problem in my university physics book by sears and zemanski which had a problem in which two guys want a mug of beer on an ice pond. There is a rope between them and each man tugs on the rope pulling themselves towards each other. It says that the center of mass of the system never changes as the men move towards one another. I was wondering if you could show me why the center of mass would remain stationary even though each man is constnantly moving closer and closer to each other, (assuming they can mysteriously pass through each other and not collide when they meet at some point in time.)

Thanks much,

-Cyrus

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cyrus said:
Hi, I have another question on the center of mass this time. I read a problem in my university physics book by sears and zemanski which had a problem in which two guys want a mug of beer on an ice pond. There is a rope between them and each man tugs on the rope pulling themselves towards each other. It says that the center of mass of the system never changes as the men move towards one another. I was wondering if you could show me why the center of mass would remain stationary even though each man is constnantly moving closer and closer to each other, (assuming they can mysteriously pass through each other and not collide when they meet at some point in time.)

Thanks much,

-Cyrus
The men are causing only forces which are internal to the system, and therefore cannot move the center of mass of the whole system. When one man tugs on the rope, he pulls himself closer towards the other guy's position (shifting the center of mass towards the other guy), but he cannot do that without also moving the other guy towards him (shifting the center of mass right back).

Note that the example must be contrived to the point that they're both on frictionless ice - if they were to be on a surface with friction, the force between the man's feet and the ground beneath him would be external, rather than internal, to the two-man system, and could indeed change the position of the center of mass.

Try balancing a ruler on two fingers, one from each hand. Gradually move your fingers together - they meet at the center of the ruler (unless it is unevenly weighted) every single time, no matter where they start from or how you move them.

Its a result of Newton's third law. Its sometimes taken as a postulate as Einstein did in 1906 in his famous "photon in a box" experiment. He demanded that the center of mass remain fixed. I think it can also be derived from the principle of the conservation of momentum. Give it a try. Suppose there are two objects of different mass which are given energy. Demand that momentum be conserved. Find the position of each object as a function of time. Then find the center of mass. Does it remain fixed or is it a function of time too? You'll see that its constant in time.

Pete

I think (HOPE HOPE HOPE FINGERS CROSSED!) that I got it based on a conservation of momentum application like you said. If momentum is to be conserved, then

[tex]m_1i v_1i+m_2i v_2i = m_1f v_2f + m_2f v_2f [/tex], but since they are both at rest at the start, their total initial momentum is zero. so the two final momenta must also sum up to zero, i.e.

[tex] 0=m_1f v_1f + m_2f v_2f [/tex]

Now, the the first derivative of the center of mass equation gives:

[tex]mCM * vCM = m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2 + ...[/tex] (CM = center of mass)

Since the right hand side equals zero, and the total mass of the entire system obviously CANNOT equal zero, then the velocity must be the zero vector on the right hand side! Thus the center of mass has no velocity and remains stationary! GOD I HOPE THIS IS CORRECT! You don't know how much of a pain this has been for me to figure out. :-) I talk to my physics teacher on a regular basis but he's a real busy man. I feel bad at times always calling him up, but its the only way ill learn i guess. I tried to work this problem with him over the phone from work, since i don't have time during the day when he's at work, and I am as well. But I always get brushed away because he has to grade papers or help another student. So, although all this is unnecessary, I wanted you to know that I am thankful for your reply Pete, I am hard pressed to find a constant reliable source to explain physics to me. :-)

Cheers,

Cyrus

1. What is the center of mass and why is it important in science?

The center of mass is the point in an object where all of its mass is evenly distributed. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects behave and move, and it is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of all the individual masses in an object. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each part of the object by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the object.

3. What is the constant motion phenomenon?

The constant motion phenomenon refers to the fact that the center of mass of an object will continue to move at a constant velocity, even if the object is subjected to external forces. This is due to the conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does the position of the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The position of the center of mass is a key factor in determining an object's stability. If the center of mass is located above the object's base of support, the object will be stable. However, if the center of mass is outside of the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over.

5. How is the center of mass related to rotational motion?

The center of mass is also important in understanding rotational motion. When an object is rotating, the center of mass follows a circular path known as the axis of rotation. The moment of inertia, which describes an object's resistance to rotational motion, also depends on the distribution of mass around the center of mass.