How Can Constant Electric Field Be Achieved in a Spherical Charge Distribution?

In summary: Because ##\rho = \frac{A}{r}## so I simply wrote that instead of ##\rho##. The range is from ##0## to ##r_2##. Should I do it from ##r_1## to...?The density is specified to be in the range ##r_1 < r < r_2##. So the integration should be over that range, not starting at 0.
Kernul

Homework Statement

A volumetric charge density ##\rho = \frac{A}{r}## is distributed in the spheric region ##r_1 < r < r_2## (##A## is constant). A point charge ##q## is located in the center of the sphere (##r = 0##). What should be the value of ##A## so that the module of the electric field is constant for ##r_1 < r < r_2##?

Homework Equations

Gauss Theorem for continuous distribution
##\Phi_s (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_\tau \rho (x, y, z) d\tau##

The Attempt at a Solution

What the problem is asking is to find ##A## so that ##E_0 = const##.
I started by finding the electric field for ##r_1## and ##r_2##, so, if I'm not wrong:
for ##r_1##
##E_0 4 \pi r_1^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_\tau \rho (x, y, z) d\tau##
We know that ##dq = \rho (x, y, z) d\tau## so we have
##E_0 4 \pi r_1^2 = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
##E_0 = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_1^2}## or ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r_1^2}##
same thing for ##r_2##
##E_0 = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_2^2}## or ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r_2^2}##
Since we know that it's a sphere, ##Q = \rho \frac{4}{3} \pi r_1^3## and ##Q = \rho \frac{4}{3} \pi r_2^3##.
So the above expressions become
##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\rho}{r_1^2} \frac{4}{3} \pi r_1^3 = \frac{\rho r_1}{3 \epsilon_0}##
and
##E_0 = \frac{\rho r_2}{3 \epsilon_0}##

At this point I thought that by simply doing this ##\frac{\rho r_1}{3 \epsilon_0} = \frac{\rho r_2}{3 \epsilon_0}## I would have found ##A## but it's not true because I obviously find myself with ##r_1 = r_2##. How should I proceed doing this? Was it good finding the two electric field? Or I went the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kernul said:

Homework Statement

A volumetric charge density ##\rho = \frac{A}{r}## is distributed in the spheric region ##r_1 < r < r_2## (##A## is constant). A point charge ##q## is located in the center of the sphere (##r = 0##). What should be the value of ##A## so that the module of the electric field is constant for ##r_1 < r < r_2##?

Homework Equations

Gauss Theorem for continuous distribution
##\Phi_s (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_\tau \rho (x, y, z) d\tau##

The Attempt at a Solution

What the problem is asking is to find ##A## so that ##E_0 = const##.
I started by finding the electric field for ##r_1## and ##r_2##, so, if I'm not wrong:
for ##r_1##
##E_0 4 \pi r_1^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_\tau \rho (x, y, z) d\tau##
We know that ##dq = \rho (x, y, z) d\tau## so we have
##E_0 4 \pi r_1^2 = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
##E_0 = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_1^2}## or ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r_1^2}##
same thing for ##r_2##
##E_0 = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_2^2}## or ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r_2^2}##
Since we know that it's a sphere, ##Q = \rho \frac{4}{3} \pi r_1^3## and ##Q = \rho \frac{4}{3} \pi r_2^3##.
So the above expressions become
##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\rho}{r_1^2} \frac{4}{3} \pi r_1^3 = \frac{\rho r_1}{3 \epsilon_0}##
and
##E_0 = \frac{\rho r_2}{3 \epsilon_0}##

At this point I thought that by simply doing this ##\frac{\rho r_1}{3 \epsilon_0} = \frac{\rho r_2}{3 \epsilon_0}## I would have found ##A## but it's not true because I obviously find myself with ##r_1 = r_2##. How should I proceed doing this? Was it good finding the two electric field? Or I went the wrong way?
What is the total charge inside the sphere at radius r1 ?

Added in Edit:
I should have been more complete with my answer:

The only charge at r < r1 is the charge, q, at the center.

Therefore, the magnitude of the electric field at r = r1 is ##\displaystyle \ E=\frac1{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q}{ r_1}\ .##

Last edited:
So this means that ##A = \frac{3 r q}{4 \pi r_1 r_2}##? How do I check if it's correct? Do I have to find the electric field in ##r_1 < r < r_2##?
Because the electric field there for me is ##E_0 = A \frac{(r_2 - r_1)}{r^2}## and so ##\frac{3 q}{4 \pi} \left(\frac{r_2}{r_1} - \frac{r_1}{r_2} \right)##. Is it correct?

Kernul said:
So this means that ##A = \frac{3 r q}{4 \pi r_1 r_2}##? How do I check if it's correct? Do I have to find the electric field in ##r_1 < r < r_2##?
Because the electric field there for me is ##E_0 = A \frac{(r_2 - r_1)}{r^2}## and so ##\frac{3 q}{4 \pi} \left(\frac{r_2}{r_1} - \frac{r_1}{r_2} \right)##. Is it correct?
A is a constant, so it does not depend on r .

How did you arrive at that value ?

For ##r = r_1## we have ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1}## while for ##r = r_2## we have ##E_0 = \frac{\rho r_2}{3 \epsilon_0} = \frac{A r_2}{3 \epsilon_0 r}##. Then I thought that in order to find ##A## I could do this ##\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1} = \frac{A r_2}{3 \epsilon_0 r}## and so ##A = \frac{3 r q}{4 \pi r_1 r_2}##. Is it wrong?

Kernul said:
For ##r = r_1## we have ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1}## while for ##r = r_2## we have ##E_0 = \frac{\rho r_2}{3 \epsilon_0} = \frac{A r_2}{3 \epsilon_0 r}##. Then I thought that in order to find ##A## I could do this ##\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1} = \frac{A r_2}{3 \epsilon_0 r}## and so ##A = \frac{3 r q}{4 \pi r_1 r_2}##. Is it wrong?
For r = r2 both q and the amount of charge between r1 an r2 contribute to the electric field .

You are leaving out ## \displaystyle \ E=\frac1{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q}{ r_2}\ .##

Oh! So for ##r = r_2## we have ##E_0 = \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2} \right) + \left( \frac{A r_2}{3 \epsilon_0 r} \right)##?

Kernul said:
Oh! So for ##r = r_2## we have ##E_0 = \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2} \right) + \left( \frac{A r_2}{3 \epsilon_0 r} \right)##?
Not correct.

Over what range of r are you integrating ρ(r) ?

Also, what is r doing in the denominator?

Because ##\rho = \frac{A}{r}## so I simply wrote that instead of ##\rho##. The range is from ##0## to ##r_2##. Should I do it from ##r_1## to ##r_2##?

Kernul said:
Because ##\rho = \frac{A}{r}## so I simply wrote that instead of ##\rho##. The range is from ##0## to ##r_2##. Should I do it from ##r_1## to ##r_2##?
It's from ##\ r_1\ ## to ##\ r_2\,,\ ## so use that.

Okay, so it should be this:
##E_0 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \rho(r) d\tau##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi r^2} \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \rho(r) d\tau##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r^2} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{A}{r} \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 dr##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \frac{A}{3 r^2} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} r^2 dr##
##E_0 = \frac{A}{3 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left[ \frac{r^3}{3} \right]_{r_1}^{r_2}##
##E_0 = \frac{A}{9 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^3 - r_1^3 \right)##
Is this correct?

Kernul said:
Okay, so it should be this:
## \displaystyle E_0 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \rho(r) d\tau##
## \displaystyle E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi r^2} \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \rho(r) d\tau##
## \displaystyle E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r^2} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{A}{r} \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 dr##

Is this correct?
No - not the way to integrate over a volume.

The volume element of integration for a spherical shell is: ##\ 4\pi r^2 dr\ ##.

Use that instead of ## \displaystyle \ \frac43 \pi r^3 dr\ ##

Oh! So it's ##E_0 = \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##?
And for ##r = r_2## in total we have ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##
After this I just have to do like this:
$$\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)$$
Is it right in order to find ##A##?

Kernul said:
Oh! So it's ##E_0 = \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##?
And for ##r = r_2## in total we have ##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##
After this I just have to do like this:
$$\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)$$
Is it right in order to find ##A##?
Too many different E0-s.

The amount of charge for the whole shell (from r1 to r2) is indeed ##\displaystyle\ 2\pi A\left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)\,,\ ## which you must have gotten judging by you expressions.

Then the electric field at r2 is due that charge plus the charge, q, at the center.

The correct value of E at r = r2 is close to what you have on the second line, except you need r22 in the denominator, not r2.(You're forgetting to square r in a number of places. Just because I did - that is no excuse. :smile: )

SammyS said:
Too many different E0-s
##E_0 - s##? What do you mean?

SammyS said:
The amount of charge for the whole shell (from r1 to r2) is indeed 2πA(r22−r21), 2πA(r22−r12), \displaystyle\ 2\pi A\left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)\,,\ which you must have gotten judging by you expressions.
Oh yeah, it becomes ##\frac{q + 2 \pi A (r_2^2 - r_1^2)}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_2^2}##, right?

SammyS said:
The correct value of E at r = r2 is close to what you have on the second line, except you need r22 in the denominator, not r2.
You're right, because the ##d\vec S## is of the sphere with ##r = r_2## and not a random ##r##, right?

SammyS said:
(You're forgetting to square r in a number of places. Just because I did - that is no excuse. :smile: )
Yeah, I'm sorry...

Kernul said:
##E_0 - s##? What do you mean?

My poor attempt to pluralize E0 .

Oh okay.
But still, now that I have the electric field between ##r_1## and ##r_2##, how do I find ##A## so that the electric field is constant?
Is it something like this:
##E_0 = 2 \pi A (r_2^2 - r_1^2)##
##A = \frac{E_0}{2 \pi (r_2^2 - r_1^2)}##

Kernul said:
Oh okay.
But still, now that I have the electric field between ##r_1## and ##r_2##, how do I find ##A## so that the electric field is constant?
Is it something like this:
##E_0 = 2 \pi A (r_2^2 - r_1^2)##
##A = \frac{E_0}{2 \pi (r_2^2 - r_1^2)}##
What does that subscript of 0 mean?

What you need:
The electric field at r1 must be equal to the electric field at r2 .

Set them equal and solve for A.

Added in Edit:
In other words,
Fix this equation from post #13
##\displaystyle \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)\ ##​

becomes:
##\displaystyle \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1^2} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2^2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r_2^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)\ ##​

Solve for A.

Last edited:
So this:
##\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1^2} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2^2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r_2^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##
Because if it's this I have ##A = \frac{q}{2 \pi r_1^2}##.

Kernul said:
So this:
##\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1^2} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_2^2} + \frac{A}{2 \epsilon_0 r_2^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##
Because if it's this I have ##A = \frac{q}{2 \pi r_1^2}##.
Yes !

Now, does that work for E at r = c, if r1 < c < r2 ?

So for ##E## at ##r = c## we have:
##E 4 \pi c^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \rho d\tau##
##E 4 \pi c^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{A}{c} d\tau##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{A}{c^2} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{1}{c} d\tau##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{A}{c^2} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{1}{c} 4 \pi c^2 dc##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{A 4 \pi}{c^2} \frac{\left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)}{2}##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{2 \pi r_1^2} \frac{4 \pi}{c^2} \frac{\left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)}{2}##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1^2 c^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{c^2} \left( \frac{r_2^2}{r_1^2} - 1 \right)##
Right?

Kernul said:
So for ##E## at ##r = c## we have:
##E 4 \pi c^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \rho d\tau##
The Gaussian surface is at r = c, right?

Only integrate the charge density, ρ(r), up to r = c, for the enclosed charge.
##E 4 \pi c^2 = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{A}{c} d\tau##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{A}{c^2} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{1}{c} d\tau##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{A}{c^2} \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{1}{c} 4 \pi c^2 dc##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{A 4 \pi}{c^2} \frac{\left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)}{2}##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{2 \pi r_1^2} \frac{4 \pi}{c^2} \frac{\left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)}{2}##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1^2 c^2} \left( r_2^2 - r_1^2 \right)##
##E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{c^2} \left( \frac{r_2^2}{r_1^2} - 1 \right)## (Doesn't look constant to me.)
Right?

So ##\int_{r_1}^{c} c dc##?
Then with all the operations we will have this:
##E = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{1}{c^2} - \frac{1}{r_1^2} \right)##

Kernul said:
So ##\int_{r_1}^{c} c dc##?
Then with all the operations we will have this:
##E = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{1}{c^2} - \frac{1}{r_1^2} \right)##
What should this value be ?

Somehow you've switched the signs.

You have ignored the contribution of q, the charge at the center.

Last edited:
You're right. I switched the signs. I was doing it in mind without writing.
SammyS said:
You have ignored the contribution of q, the charge at the center.
So I should add ##\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{c^2}## to ##\frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{1}{r_1^2} - \frac{1}{c^2} \right)##?

Kernul said:
You're right. I switched the signs. I was doing it in mind without writing.

So I should add ##\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{c^2}## to ##\frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{1}{r_1^2} - \frac{1}{c^2} \right)##?
What will that give as a result ?

##\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r_1^2}##
Oh! Now I got it! Thanks so much!

1. What is a constant electric field?

A constant electric field is a uniform electric field in which the magnitude and direction of the electric field does not change. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a constant electric field created?

A constant electric field can be created by placing two oppositely charged parallel plates next to each other. The electric field lines will be perpendicular to the plates and evenly spaced.

3. What is the unit of measurement for constant electric field?

The unit of measurement for constant electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).

4. What is the significance of a constant electric field?

A constant electric field is important in many applications, such as in capacitors and particle accelerators. It also helps in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

5. How does a constant electric field affect charged particles?

Charged particles in a constant electric field experience a force in the direction of the field. The magnitude of the force is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field and the charge of the particle. The direction of the force depends on the sign of the charge. In a constant electric field, charged particles will accelerate or decelerate depending on their charge and the direction of the field.