Calculating the Force on a 65kg Barrel Rolling Down a 1.2m Ramp

In summary, the question asks for the constant force applied on a 65kg barrel of oil as it rolls down a 1.2m ramp with a velocity of 4.2m/s. The formula used to solve for this force is Fy=mg, where m is the mass of the barrel and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The resulting force should be in Newtons. Additional information, such as the angle of the ramp, could potentially be used to calculate both the force of gravity and the force of the barrel rolling down the incline.
Brittykitty
A barrel of oil with a mass of 65 kg is rolled down a 1.2 m ramp. Due to a constant force exerted on it, the barrel reaches a velocity of 4.2 m/s just on leaving the ramp. Find the constant force on the barrel while it is on the ramp and express your answer in the form of a sentence relating force, change in velocity, distance, and direction.

what would the formula be for this question? :\

Mass: 65kg
Velocity: 4.2m/s
acceleration: 1.2m x 9.81m/s = 11.77m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
This question isn't answerable without additional information. Are you sure you copied the question correctly?

Hello,
I did copy it right, I copied and pasted the question from the assignment I was given, what kind of information is missing?

I agree the problem is a little vague. It's plausible that the force is just the force of gravity.

Right. In that case, this question becomes simple.

How much kinetic energy did the object gain in going down the ramp? Considering that W=Fd and you know d, what's F?

it didnt give you an angle?

then you could calculate both the force of gravity and the force of the object rolling down the incline?
You can use this formula (very basic)

Fy=mg

your answer should be in Newtons.

im not sure though but maybe that velocity is just information to mislead you?

Edit: never mind. but the force exerted on the y-direction can still be found with that

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating force on a 65kg barrel rolling down a 1.2m ramp?

The formula for calculating force is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass is 65kg and the acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where g is the gravitational acceleration and θ is the angle of the ramp.

What is the gravitational acceleration value to be used in the formula?

The gravitational acceleration value varies depending on the location. On Earth, the standard value is 9.8 m/s^2. However, if the experiment is conducted on a different planet, the gravitational acceleration value will be different.

How do I determine the angle of the ramp?

The angle of the ramp can be determined using the formula tanθ = height/length, where θ is the angle, height is the vertical distance, and length is the horizontal distance of the ramp. In this case, the height is 1.2m and the length can be measured.

Is there any other force acting on the barrel apart from the force of gravity?

Yes, there are other forces acting on the barrel such as friction and air resistance. However, for the sake of simplicity, these forces are often ignored in this type of calculation.

Can I use this formula to calculate the force on objects with different masses and on different ramps?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the force on any object with any mass rolling down any ramp. The only variables that need to be adjusted are the mass and the angle of the ramp.