1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant force?

1. Oct 6, 2004 #1
    It is true that whether using one rubber band or a bunch, a constant displacement will result in a constant increase in force?

I did this experiment in school and both experiements gave me a linear line for Force vs Displacement.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2004 #2

Diane_

Homework Helper

That's Hooke's Law. To a close order of approximation, as long as you aren't near the elastic limit, yes.

4. Oct 6, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "constant" in this context, urbanXrisis:

We say that we have a LINEAR relationship between force and displacement if (for example) a doubling of the displacement causes a doubling of the force.
    In the case of rubber band (or a bunch of them), modelling the force/displacement as a linear relationship is close enough to reality to be called true..(up to a point, that is..)

Was this what you were asking about?

5. Oct 6, 2004 #4
    yes, thanks for the replys, it helped me out

6. Oct 6, 2004 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Urban, also consider

Straight Line Equation

[tex] y = mx + b [/tex]

Hooke's Law

[tex] F = kx [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?