1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Function

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    "Let r be a rational number greater than 1. Let f:R->R be a function that satisfies the condition that for all real numbers x and y,

[tex]|f(x)-f(y)|\leq (x-y)^r[/tex]

Prove that f is a constant."

Perhaps there's some subtlety which I misunderstood, but even a constant function fails to satisfy the conditions for some choice of r. For instance, let r=3 and f be a constant. Let x<y, and the inequality fails, i.e.,

[tex]|f(x)-f(y)|=0\leq (x-y)^3 <0[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question says that IF f satisfies this condition THEN it is a constant, not IF f is a constant THEN it satisfies the condition. If the thing you're asked to prove is true, then given what you just showed when r = 3, you can only conclude that NO function f (constant or otherwise) satisfies the condition.
  4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    But since x and y are arbitrary, x-y could be negative. In that case, if r is some rational number with an odd numerator and an even denominator, this whole thing fails, regardless of what kind of function it is.
  5. Dec 1, 2005 #4
    Probably just a typo, it should probably say

|f(x) - f(y)| <= |x - y|^r.
  6. Dec 1, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If r is the type you suggested, then since x-y could be negative, the condition wouldn't hold, as you point out. Again, I repeat, it says IF the condition holds THEN f is a constant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?