1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant function

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1
    Please check whether this makes sense

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]U\subset\mathbb{C}[/itex] open, path-connected and [itex]f:U\longrightarrow\mathbb{C}[/itex] differentiable with [itex]f'(z)=0[/itex] for all [itex]z\in{U}[/itex], then f is constant.

H1: U is pathconnected
    H2: [itex]f:U\longrightarrow\mathbb{C}, f'(z)=0, z\in{U} [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

By H1 for every [itex]p,q\in{U},p\neq{q}[/itex] there exists [itex]\gamma:[a,b]\longrightarrow{U}[/itex] such that [itex]\gamma(a)=p,\gamma(b)=q[/itex].
    So let [itex]\gamma[/itex] be an arbitrary path in U and let [itex]z\in\gamma([a,b])\subset{U}[/itex], that is [itex]z:=\gamma(t)[/itex] for [itex]t\in[a,b][/itex].

We shall show that f is constant on any path in U between arbitrary but fixed points p and q. Since [itex]\gamma[/itex] is arbitrary, it will then follow that f is constant on U.

Since f is complex-differentiable and gamma is continuous, and hence also real-differentiable, we have [itex](f\circ{\gamma})'(t)={\gamma}'(t)f'(\gamma(t))[/itex]. But [itex]f'(\gamma(t))=f'(z)=0[/itex] by H2, hence [itex](f\circ{\gamma})'(t)=0[/itex], which implies that [itex](f\circ{\gamma})(t)=const[/itex]. In particular, [itex](f\circ{\gamma})(a)=(f\circ{\gamma})(b)[/itex], that is [itex]f({\gamma}(a))=f({\gamma}(b))[/itex], or [itex]f(p)=f(q)[/itex] for all [itex]p\neq{q}, p,q\in U[/itex]. But this is exactly the property of a constant function. It follows that f is locally, on a subset of U, constant and hence constant.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But could you prove this?

My hint at the solution to the problem would be: path integrals.
  4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    Yes, I think I can.

We have [itex](f\circ{\gamma})'(t)=u'(t)+iv'(t)=0\Longrightarrow{u'(t)=0=v'(t)}[/itex], which means that [itex]u(t)=C_1, v(t)=C_2[/itex] are constant functions and so [itex](f\circ{\gamma})(t)[/itex] is constant.

Must I use path integrals here. Is the above argumentation incorrect or imprecise?
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, now it looks good and complete!

(But with path integrals it is very fast: "Let a,b be in U and y be a path in U joining and and B. Then by the FTC for path integrals in the complex plane, the integral of f '(z) along y is both 0 and f(b)-f(a). Therefor f(b)-f(a)=0. QED)
  6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    Ok, I'll try to go into detail, because I'd like to write it down formally and clearly.

So you say that:

Constant functions are trivially continuous and holomorphic everywhere in C. U is open, so f' is holomorphic on U. Also the path gamma is continuous and hence smooth. These two statements imply that a primitive of f' on U exists and is determined up to a constant. Clearly, f' has a primitive on gamma.

Let F be a primitive. Again, differentiability of f implies that primitive F is holomorphic and F=f.

Now we apply the FTC to any path gamma between any two points a and b to conclude that:
    [itex]\displaystyle\int^{}_{\gamma} f'(z)\,dz = f(b)-f(a)[/itex]
    At the same time: [itex]\displaystyle\int^{}_{\gamma} f'(z)\,dz = 0[/itex] by hypothesis. Hence f(b)=f(a) for all different a and b in U. Thus it follows f is constant.

Is it OK?

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. Oct 21, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?