Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant g roller coaster loops

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    I was reading this interesting article on different varieties of roller coaster loops, and I know nothing about calculus or ODEs, but I was wondering what the constant-g loop in section 3.2 would actually look like for some typical initial velocity. Is it conceivably possible for a rider to experience 1 g throughout an entire loop in a 1 g environment? I would have to disagree with the author, then, because it would truly be an interesting sensation.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the loop is not complete (starts with an upwards section and ends with a downwards section), having a constant 1 g is possible. You cannot have a full circle, of course, as this would add centrifugal/centripetal acceleration with gravity, and give more than 1 g.

4. Sep 14, 2014 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would have to tighten the loop radius at the top so that there are 2 Gs, ignoring gravity. And you would have to take into account any velocity decrease going up and a corresponding increase going down. I think that the "loop" would not end where it began, but would be forward of the starting point. Without doing calculations, it seems possible to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook