Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant in SET Definition

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    So I was looking through Wald when I noticed his definition of the stress-energy for an arbitrary matter field:

[tex]T_{ab}=-\frac{\alpha_M}{8\pi} \frac{1}{ \sqrt{-g}} \frac{\delta S_M}{\delta g^{ab}}[/tex]

where [itex]S_M[/itex] is the action for the particular type of matter field being considered, and [itex]\alpha_M[/itex] is some constant that determines the form of the Lagrangian for the coupled Einstein-matter field equations:

[tex]\mathcal{L}=R\sqrt{-g}+\alpha_M \mathcal{L}_M[/tex]

For example, for a Klein-Gordon field we take [itex]\alpha_{KG}=16\pi[/itex], and for an EM field we take [itex]\alpha_{EM}=4[/itex]. Now, my question is whether or not there is some prescription for finding the value of [itex]\alpha_M[/itex]. How could I go about finding [itex]\alpha_M[/itex] for an arbitrary [itex]\mathcal{L}_M[/itex]?

I feel like I'm missing something painfully obvious.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

I guess everybody has his own conventions. The usual ones follow.

The Einstein Equations are Gμν = 8πG Tμν. To get this equation we use an action I = IG + IM where IG = (1/16πG) ∫√-g R d4x and Tμν = (2/√-g) δIM/δgμν.

For electromagnetism, L = (-1/4)FμνFμν. This is in Heaviside units where e2/4πħc = 1/137. In Gaussian units where e2/ħc = 1/137, the Lagrangian would instead be IM = (-1/16π)FμνFμν.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook