Overcoming Unwanted Apartment Noise: A Guide

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary: If it's functioning properly, it's fine. If it was rattling and banging and pumping out hot air, then there's a problem. The worst are usually the window units...if the noise bothers you, turn it off.
tgt
Do you have a constant noise in your apartment due to air conditioner for the building or nearby building? If so how to you get over it?

Physics news on Phys.org
My neighboors have a constant noise in their appartement because of us. They are pretty unhappy about it. They got used to it though.

tgt said:
If so how to you get over it?
As any married man will tell you, you just do.

double glazing? Turn it off and put up with the heat? Go on a murderous rampage...although I hear prison can be pretty noisy too.

tgt said:
Do you have a constant noise in your apartment due to air conditioner for the building or nearby building? If so how to you get over it?

That's really annoying! :mad:

You could try going to court …it's a common-law nuisance, and it's probably a breach of your lease also (if it's in your building).

If you're a student, your student union lawyer might be able to help you …

tiny-tim said:
That's really annoying! :mad:

You could try going to court …it's a common-law nuisance, and it's probably a breach of your lease also (if it's in your building).

If you're a student, your student union lawyer might be able to help you …

How would you construe an air conditioner hum as a breach of lease? All air conditioners make noise when running, so unless you'd rather have a place with no A/C, you learn to put up with it. When it's a truly constant noise, you'll eventually tune it out. And, if it isn't coming from YOUR building, even less one can do about it...that would be like complaining to your landlord about the traffic on the street outside your apartment...the landlord has no control over that. If you can't get used to it, move when your lease is up (better yet, pay attention to these things when looking at new places).

You can do things to reduce noise in your apartment...for example, if you have hardwood floors, put down a rug so there's less echo.

Of course, noisy neighbors (like humanino) are another thing, and that IS something one can complain to the landlord about, and would be reason for the landlord to evict the neighbors if it's excessive.

Moonbear said:
How would you construe an air conditioner hum as a breach of lease? All air conditioners make noise when running …

Yes, but some air conditioners make more noise than others. There has to be a limit.

tiny-tim said:
Yes, but some air conditioners make more noise than others. There has to be a limit.

If it's functioning properly, it's fine. If it was rattling and banging and pumping out hot air, then there's a problem. The worst are usually the window units...if the noise bothers you, turn it off.

1. How can I reduce noise from my upstairs neighbors?

One way to reduce noise from upstairs neighbors is to add soundproofing materials to your ceiling, such as acoustic panels or soundproof drywall. You can also try talking to your neighbors and asking them to be more mindful of their noise levels.

2. What are some effective ways to block noise from outside?

To block noise from outside, you can use thick curtains or blinds on your windows, add weather stripping around doors and windows, and consider installing soundproofing materials on your walls.

3. How can I soundproof my floors to reduce noise from below?

To soundproof your floors, you can add rugs or carpets with thick padding, use soundproof underlayment under your flooring, and seal any gaps or cracks where noise can travel through.

4. Are there any budget-friendly options for reducing apartment noise?

Yes, there are budget-friendly options for reducing apartment noise, such as using draft stoppers under doors, adding weather stripping around windows, and using heavy curtains or blankets to block noise.

5. What are some long-term solutions for reducing apartment noise?

Some long-term solutions for reducing apartment noise include investing in soundproofing materials, talking to your neighbors about noise levels, and considering moving to a different unit or apartment complex if the noise is consistently disruptive.