1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant power question

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Object A of mass m is pushed with a constant force, another object B of the same mass is pushed with a force that does work at constant rate. Velocity of both objects increase from v to 2v and they move a distance of s. Find the ratio of the time taken by objects A and B to move the distance s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, for object A
    s = 1/2(v + 2v)t
    t = 2s/3v

Object B has constant power, thus
    F1v = F2(2v)
    But I don't know how to find an expression for the time taken by object B in term of v and s

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2
    Use energy considerations.

First: What is the total change in energy?

Second: Find the velocity as a function of P and t and integrate this to obtain the position as a function of time.

Now you can use these to equations to eliminate P.

Good luck :)

Edit: For more info on motion with constant power, see https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/1811/2458/1/V30N04_218.pdf

4. May 7, 2010 #3
    change in energy = work done = 3/2 mv2
    3/2 mv2 = Pt
    v = (2Pt/3m)1/2
    integrating this term, i get
    s = 1/3 (8Pt3/9m)1/2

But how do i eliminate m and p?

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    Indeed.

Try looking at the first equation again. Can't you use that to eliminate the ratio P/m?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook