1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Projections

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    As a projectile moves along its parabolic trajectory, which of the following remain constant (ignoring air resistance, and defining the z-axis to point upward)? More than one answer may be correct!

a. Its speed.
    b. Its velocity.
    c. Its x-velocity and its y-velocity.
    d. Its acceleration

I am thinking the only thing constant is acceleration. My book keeps saying that the horizontal velocity is constant but this is a parabolic trajectory so shouldn't that make a difference? Also velocity is going to change from positive to negative, and speed will change at different points of the trajectory.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2
    Along the Y axis the acceleration is always constant. The speed is constant as long as the acceleration doesnt change. The velocity would be constant as well as its x velocity, however the Y velocity wouldnt be constant because at the highest peak of the projectile the y velocity would be 0.
  4. Nov 29, 2006 #3
    well i dont think velocity would be constant cause velocity is magnitude and direction and the direction changes so it would change, I think. I'm pretty sure I'm considering the projectile in the zx plane so y will always be 0.
  5. Nov 29, 2006 #4
    Oh crap this is 3 dimensional. Scratch my post. I was talking about 2 D.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?