Solving for E(0) in Equation: Vacuum Permittivity

• Thread starter FatCat0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: E(0) in an equation involving vacuum permittivity. He has tried different units and different results, so he was wondering if anyone had any help. He found the constants for the equation on a website, and the resulting number is 3.13926 eV.
FatCat0
I cannot for the life of me figure out what value my professor used for E(0) in this equation (vacuum permittivity). Here's what he wrote down:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5663/78976562.jpg

It's talking about the first ionization energy of an electron, so I've tried using numbers I do know to find a value for E(0)/e^2 (because I'm not entirely sure on the numerical value of e either, though it doesn't matter too much because the only time I need to use this constant it's in the form E(0)/e^2).

If anyone could help out, all I need is a number value to about 4 places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello FatCat-
All of the constants you need can be found at:
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-phys-constants.pdf
This includes the electron charge, the permittivity of free space, and the classical Bohr radius, all to about 6 places. The number, 13.60569172 eV, is the Rydberg energy, also on this page. pi is about 22/7.
Bob S

FatCat0 said:
I cannot for the life of me figure out what value my professor used for E(0) in this equation (vacuum permittivity).

Did you try a Google search on "vacuum permittivity"? The first hit is a Wikipedia page which gives the value in two different sets of units near the beginning.

I can and have looked up the constants, but I still can't find any combination of them that makes sense, either in units or in outcome. Using 8.854*10^-12 for E(0) I get this:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28.511*%281.6022*10^-19%29^4%29%2F%28%284*pi*%288.854*10^-12%29%29^2*2*%286.58212*10^-22%29^2%29
Which is very clearly nowhere near...well, anything that makes sense.

Oh, that answer comes out to 3.13926*^-14 by the way. Copied and pasted badly there...

Hi Fatcat-

The answer you get is in units of Joules

E = e2/8 pi ε0 a0 = 2.18 x 10-18 Joules

using 1.6 x 10-19 Joules = 1 eV (electron volt)

we get E = 13.6 eV

Bob S

1. What is the equation for vacuum permittivity?

The equation for vacuum permittivity, also known as the electric constant, is given by E(0) = 8.854 x 10^-12 C^2/N*m^2.

2. What does E(0) represent in the equation for vacuum permittivity?

E(0) represents the electric field strength in a vacuum, or the maximum electric field that can exist in a vacuum without causing a breakdown of the vacuum.

3. How is the equation for vacuum permittivity used in scientific research?

The equation for vacuum permittivity is used in various areas of scientific research, particularly in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It helps to calculate the electric field strength in vacuum and is also used in determining the properties of materials in vacuum.

4. Can the equation for vacuum permittivity be modified for different units?

Yes, the equation for vacuum permittivity can be modified for different unit systems. In the SI unit system, the value of E(0) is 8.854 x 10^-12 C^2/N*m^2. In Gaussian units, the value of E(0) is 1, which simplifies many equations in electromagnetism.

5. Is vacuum permittivity a constant or does it vary?

Vacuum permittivity is a fundamental physical constant and is considered to be a universal constant. It does not vary and remains the same in all vacuum conditions.