Constant Variables? Understanding the Difference

In summary: This means that r is a constant in the context of differentiating with respect to t.In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about whether a variable, in this case r, should be considered a constant or not in the context of differentiation in calculus. The speaker initially thought that r was a constant, but upon further consideration, realized that it is actually a variable. However, in the context of differentiation, r can be seen as a constant as it does not depend on the variable being differentiated with respect to.
azure kitsune
Once I was in my calculus class and I had to demonstrate an optimization problem on the board. It was finding the maximum area of a triangle inside a circle with radius r. When I got to the part where I had to differentiate, I said something along the lines of, "the derivative of r*t with respect to t is r, because r is a constant." But when I think about it, r is not a constant, because it is a variable!

So now I am really confused about whether something is a constant or not. Am I correct in saying that r is a constant?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Even though I used an example from calculus, I'm not sure if this is entirely a calculus topic so I put it in the general section.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
probably, it would be better to say "the derivative of f(t) = rt with respect to t is r, because r is not a function of t."

if r is not a function of t, it may as well be constant (as far as variations of t are concerned).

azure, I had the very same misconception before. When you differentiate something with respect to any variable, other variables is seen as constants, as these does not depend on the variable you are differentiating with respect to.

What are constant variables?

Constant variables are variables that do not change throughout an experiment or study. They are used to keep certain factors consistent in order to accurately measure the effect of other variables.

How are constant variables different from independent and dependent variables?

Independent variables are manipulated by the researcher and are expected to have an effect on the dependent variable. Constant variables, on the other hand, are kept the same throughout the experiment to ensure that only the independent variable is causing changes in the dependent variable.

Why are constant variables important in scientific research?

Constant variables are important because they help to eliminate extraneous factors that could influence the results of an experiment. By keeping these variables constant, researchers can be more confident in the cause and effect relationship between the independent and dependent variables.

What are some examples of constant variables?

Some examples of constant variables include temperature, time, pH levels, and concentrations of substances. These variables are kept constant to ensure that they do not affect the outcome of the experiment.

How do you determine which variables should be kept constant?

The decision to keep certain variables constant depends on the specific experiment and the desired outcome. Generally, variables that could potentially affect the dependent variable should be kept constant. It is important to carefully consider all variables and their potential impact on the results before designing an experiment.