Calculating Flux with a Constant Vector Field on a Disk of Radius 4

In summary, the problem is asking to find a constant vector field F that gives a flux of 5 through the surface S, which is a disk of radius 4 perpendicular to both F and the y-axis and oriented away from the origin. The magnitude of the field will be such that the total flux over the surface is 5, and the direction will be based on the orientation of the disk. The field is parallel to the y-axis and can be written in the form of either ## a\hat x + b\hat y + c\hat z## or ## a\hat i + b\hat j + c\hat k## for the standard three dimensions.
Toweelyy

Homework Statement

Find the constant vector field F giving the flux of 5 trough the surface S, a disk of radius 4 perpendicular to both F and the y-axis, and oriented away from the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gone through several articles on the web and searched through my textbook but I can't seem to find any relevant information to assist me making sense of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude will be such that over the area of the surface to total flux will be 5. the direction will be based on the orientation of the disk--perpendicular.

So what is this question even asking? We haven't really even talked about vector fields

I think it is asking you to determine the magnitude and direction such that the total flux is 5.
If the field is perpendicular to the surface, the flux is just the magnitude of the field times the area of the surface. If it is skewed, then there is a penalty based on the angle of incidence.
I am not sure what the direction is, since all you have given about the disk is that it is perpendicular to both the y-axis and the field.
a circle perpendicular to the y-axis will be entirely in the x-z plane.
You could just assume that the field is entirely y-directed for a simple example.

RUber said:
I am not sure what the direction is, since all you have given about the disk is that it is perpendicular to both the y-axis and the field.

The information given is equivalent to "the normal to the disc is parallel to both the field and the y-axis". Thus the field is parallel to the y-axis.

Thanks pasmith. I was adding additional dimensions in my mind.
In 3D, a 2-dimensional shape perpendicular to 2 vectors implies that both vectors are in the 3rd dimension.

So all thank you very much. But one last question, when writing a vector field what is proper notation or notation that is used frequently?

Often you will see either ## a\hat x + b\hat y + c\hat z## or ## a\hat i + b\hat j + c\hat k## for the standard three dimensions.
A constant vector field is just one vector repeated many times (constant coefficients a, b, c). A variable field will have variables for a , b , and c which may depend on x, y, z, t, or whatever.

1. What is a constant vector field?

A constant vector field is a type of vector field in which the magnitude and direction of the vector do not change at any point in space. This means that the vector remains the same at every point in the field, making it a uniform and unchanging field.

2. How is a constant vector field represented graphically?

A constant vector field can be represented graphically using arrows or line segments, with the length and direction of the arrows or lines representing the magnitude and direction of the vector at each point in the field. Alternatively, a constant vector field can also be represented using a mathematical equation.

3. What is the significance of a constant vector field?

A constant vector field is important in physics and mathematics because it represents a field in which the force or velocity is constant at every point. This can help in calculating the overall force or motion of a system, and can also be used in solving various mathematical problems.

4. How is a constant vector field different from a non-constant vector field?

A constant vector field is different from a non-constant vector field in that the magnitude and direction of the vector remain the same at every point in a constant vector field, while they vary in a non-constant vector field. This means that the strength of the field is uniform in a constant vector field, while it varies in a non-constant vector field.

5. What are some real-life examples of constant vector fields?

Some real-life examples of constant vector fields include gravitational fields near the surface of the Earth, where the force of gravity remains constant at every point, and electric fields between two parallel plates, where the electric field strength remains constant between the plates. Other examples include magnetic fields in a solenoid, and wind velocity in a calm and steady environment.