Constant velocity => 0 Torque?

In summary, the driving shaft needs to rotate at a constant angular speed, and then apply torque. However, this is not possible without taking into account the energy flow through the system.
cristian
Hello guys!

I'm trying to model a simple model of a driving shaft connected to a rear axle. The axles are connected to each other by a pinion and crown gear. However this isn't any problem to model.

My problem is that I want the driving shaft to rotate at a constant angular speed and then also apply torque to it. Is this even possible?

The formula: Torque = (Inertia)*(Angular velocity)

says that Torque = 0 when Angular velocity = 0.

My idea was to use a brake (or motor) at the rear axle to be able to create torque on the driving shaft.

I've been stuck with this for 2 days now, any help is appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I just found out that the "total torque" will be 0 due to the constant angular velocities. There will however be an internal torque. This internal torque is generated from two motors (connected to the two shafts) working against each other.

But I still don't know which extra formula to use.
I'm already using:

- T1*w1 = T2*w2; T is torque and w is angular velocity
- T = J*a; J is moment of inertia and a is the angular acceleration
- n = w1/w2; n is the gear ratio and is given

I think there should be some useful formula handling the internal torque. Do you guys have any idea which? My mechanical skills are not that good as you can see, so any tip would make me happy.

Thanks in advance!

Constant angular velocity does not always imply zero torque.
Power = energy flow rate = RPM * Torque.
You must consider the energy flow through the system.

Yes, you can drive something at constant speed with greater than zero torque.

You've got a fundamental problem in that your equation is in error.
Torque = MassMomentOfInertia X AngularAcceleration (not AngularVelocity)

AngularAcceleration = "alpha" is approximately deltaVelocity/deltaTime

If deltaVelocity = zero then yes, of course alpha = zero.

In most physical situations (other than the vacuum of space) you will encounter resistance to motion (gravity encountered in slopes, various frictions, wind resistance, etc.), so torque must be applied to keep something moving at constant velocity.

(a rose by any other name) "Total Torque" may be called "Peak Torque" which is the maximum torque to get a body moving from rest through all the accumulated resistances to motion and up to desired speed in the desired amount of time. Steady State Torque used to maintain that desired speed is usually much less.

Analysis of motion requires you account for all loads, inertias, and resistances.

Thank you guys, now I understand better! Appreciate it a lot! :)

1. What is a constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the uniform motion of an object in a straight line, where the speed and direction of the object remains the same over time.

2. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is a vector quantity and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does constant velocity result in zero torque?

When an object is moving at a constant velocity, there is no change in its speed or direction. This means that there is no acceleration, and therefore no net force acting on the object. Without a net force, there is no torque and the object will not rotate.

4. Can an object have a non-zero torque with constant velocity?

No, an object cannot have a non-zero torque if it is moving at a constant velocity. Torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object, and since there is no angular acceleration in constant velocity, the torque is zero.

5. What is an example of an object with constant velocity and zero torque?

An example of an object with constant velocity and zero torque is a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight, flat road. Since the car is not turning or changing its speed, there is no torque acting on it.