Is there more to consider when determining if velocity is constant from data?

In summary, the conversation is about a student discussing their answer to a question about the velocity of an object. The student initially thought the velocity was constant based on the linear trend of the position vs. time graph, but their teacher wanted more information. The student then realizes that the velocity vs. time graph would have a slope of 0, indicating constant velocity. They also consider adding the trend line equation or the slope value to their answer.
Robershky
I am doing make-up questions from my General Physics test. This is pretty easy stuff, and I thought I answered correctly, but according to my teacher's comments on my paper it seems like I'm missing something.

Homework Statement

For the data provided, is the velocity for this object constant? How do you know?

Displacement (cm): 15, 100, 190, 290, 380
Time (seconds): 0, 3, 6, 9, 12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just by looking at the data I would say it's not constant, but after graphing it, the trend curve is linear, so I wrote my answer as

Yes, because the trend curve is linear

The teacher seemed to accept the answer as correct, but wanted more information because after my answer she wrote

and...?

Is there any other way to explain the fact that the data is linear?

Physics news on Phys.org
I sure would be curious to find out what exactly your teacher wants.

Yes, because the trend curve is linear and... you're a great teacher?

Hint: If the line had a significant slope, the v-t graph would still be linear, but the velocity would not be constant (the object would be accelerating).

PhanthomJay said:
Hint: If the line had a significant slope, the v-t graph would still be linear, but the velocity would not be constant (the object would be accelerating).

But the graph is for position vs time, which is linear. Therefor the Velocity vs. Time graph would have a slope of 0, making it constant velocity.

Robershky said:
But the graph is for position vs time, which is linear. Therefor the Velocity vs. Time graph would have a slope of 0, making it constant velocity.
You're right, i messed that up big time. So I guess you could say "linear with a slope of v'?

PhanthomJay: Yeah, I guess the only information I could add is the trend line equation or the slope value. I guess I'll add that and hope it's good enough, thanks.

1. What is constant velocity confusion?

Constant velocity confusion is a common misconception in physics, where people mistakenly believe that an object moving with constant velocity must also have a constant acceleration. This is not true, as an object can have a constant velocity while still accelerating or decelerating.

2. How does constant velocity differ from constant speed?

Constant velocity refers to an object moving at a constant rate in a specific direction, while constant speed refers to an object moving at the same rate regardless of direction. This means that an object can have a constant velocity but not a constant speed, and vice versa.

3. Can an object have a constant velocity and a changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and a changing acceleration. This is because velocity and acceleration are two different quantities that describe the motion of an object. An object can have a constant velocity while experiencing a changing acceleration due to forces acting on it.

4. How does constant velocity relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This means that an object with no external forces acting on it will have a constant velocity, but an object with an unbalanced force acting on it will experience a change in velocity.

5. Why is it important to understand constant velocity confusion?

Understanding constant velocity confusion is important in physics because it helps to clarify the difference between velocity and acceleration. It is also important in real-world applications, such as driving a car, where understanding the relationship between velocity and acceleration is crucial for safely controlling the vehicle.