Race between a Speedy Tortoise and a Resting Hare

In summary, the tortoise can run at a speed of 10cm/s and the hare can run at 20 times that speed. In a race, the hare stops to rest for 2 minutes while the tortoise continues running. The tortoise ultimately wins the race by a shell (20cm). To find the length of the race, we can set up equations for the speeds and distances of both the tortoise and hare and solve for time.
scottzilla

Homework Statement

Speedy tortoise can run 10cm/s, and a hare can run 20 times as fast. In a race, they both start at the same time, but the hare stops to rest for 2 minutes. The tortoise wins the race by a shell (20cm). A)How long does the race take? B)What is the length of the race.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason I am lost on how to set up this problem. I keep wanting to use motion in 1 dimension with constant acceleration but I cannot come up with the answers given in the book. A step by step explanationj on how to solve this type of question would be awesome.

Scottzilla

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is probably a little simpler than you're trying to make it.

Okay, let's start by writing down what we know. Suppose that the length of the track is L and the time taken for the tortoise to complete that race, T, such that

[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}\Rightarrow 10 = \frac{L}{T}[/tex]

Next we have the hare's information. We know that the hare stops of 2 minutes or 120 seconds, so the total time the hare is running is T-120. We also know that when the tortoise is at the finish line (x=L), the hare is 20cm behind him, i.e. x=L-20. Finally, we know that the hare can run at 20x10 cm/s. Hence,

[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}\Rightarrow 200 = \frac{L-20}{T-120}[/tex]

Do you follow?

Ok I think I follow you. When I was trying to come up with my equations I was taking the hare's distance to be equal to the tortoise's distance minus 20cm. SO should I take those equations and solve one for (T)ime and then put that equation into the other one?

scottzilla said:
When I was trying to come up with my equations I was taking the hare's distance to be equal to the tortoise's distance minus 20cm.
That's exactly what I've done with my set of equations, L-20
scottzilla said:
SO should I take those equations and solve one for (T)ime and then put that equation into the other one?
Sounds good to me :approve:

1. What is constant velocity problem?

The constant velocity problem is a physics concept that involves an object moving at a constant speed in a straight line. This means that the object is not accelerating or decelerating, and its velocity remains the same throughout its motion.

2. How do you calculate constant velocity?

Constant velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This formula is represented as v=d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. What are the units for constant velocity?

The units for constant velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system. Other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph) can also be used.

4. How is constant velocity different from constant speed?

Constant velocity and constant speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Constant velocity refers to an object's speed and direction remaining the same, while constant speed only refers to an object's speed remaining the same, regardless of its direction.

5. What are some real-life examples of constant velocity?

Some real-life examples of constant velocity include a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, a person walking at a constant pace in a particular direction, and a satellite orbiting the Earth at a constant speed and direction.