Possible title: Is Acceleration Constant at Zero in a System with No Net Force?

In summary: The problem states that "there is no net force on a system which is moving at a constant velocity". This means that there is no change in motion, so all factors that contribute to motion must also remain constant. This includes acceleration, momentum, and impulse. Therefore, the correct answer is (d) all of the above.
bstrong1218
I was recently asked this question:

If there is no net force on a system which is moving at a constant velocity, which of the following is also constant?

a) Acceleration
b) Momentum
c) Impulse
d) All of the above

My solution:
a) Acceleration must be constant via Newton's Second law. Since F=ma, a=F/m and with a force of 0, the acceleration must be constantly 0. By the definition of acceleration (change in velocity over time), there is no change in velocity, so the acceleration is 0.
b) Momentum is the measure of inertia that an object has due to it's motion, so with no change in the motion, momentum is constant (p=mv).
c) Impulse is a change in momentum, so since momentum is constant, impulse must remain at 0. Also, Impulse= Force * time so with no net force, impulse is zero.

Therefore, my answer is (d)... all of the above.

My instructor disagrees and seems to have a problem with acceleration being constantly zero. Apparently "nobody refers to acceleration as being constantly 0." His choice was just momentum, (b).

Can anybody support my answer or explain the issue more clearly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your instructor is incorrect. Your instructor seems to think that zero is not a constant. Ask your instructor to prove that it is not, i.e. that zero changes with time.

Your instructor probably assumes that "constant" means "non zero", but that is not what the problem says.

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity refers to the motion of an object at a steady speed in a straight line. This means that the object is not accelerating or decelerating.

2. How is constant velocity different from constant speed?

Constant velocity and constant speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Constant speed refers to an object moving at the same rate without changing direction, while constant velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

3. How is constant velocity calculated?

Constant velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time. This is represented by the equation v = ∆x/∆t, where v is velocity, ∆x is change in distance, and ∆t is change in time.

4. Can an object have constant velocity if it is changing direction?

No, an object cannot have constant velocity if it is changing direction. Constant velocity requires both a constant speed and a constant direction.

5. What are some real-life examples of constant velocity?

Some examples of constant velocity in real life include a car traveling at a steady speed on a straight road, a ball rolling down a flat surface, and a satellite orbiting the Earth at a constant speed and direction.