Calculating Acceleration of a Ship with Tugboats | Constant Velocity Problem

In summary, a tanker ship with a mass of 10000kg is moving at a constant velocity into a harbour. When two tugboats interact with the front of the ship with a net force of 10464kN, it undergoes an acceleration of 1046.4 m/s2. The correct formula to use is F=ma, with both quantities being in kilo versions.
PJ81

Homework Statement

A tanker ship with a mass of 10000Kg is moving with constant velocity into a harbour. Two tugboats interact with the front of the boat with a net force of 10464KN, what acceleration does it undergo?

Homework Equations

a=F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

a=10464000/10000
=1046.4 ms? This sounds pretty wrong to me, I don't even know if this is the right formula to use

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to the PF.

F=ma
a=F/m
what you missed i think are both quantities are in kilo versions

Whoops! thanks for that denverdoc.

denverdoc said:
welcome to the PF.

F=ma
a=F/m
what you missed i think are both quantities are in kilo versions

The Kilogram is the standard unit of measure for mass in the SI system. It looks right to me the only correction I think I have to make is that acceleration is measure in meters per second squared, m/s2.

youre right. I think it is a book error or transcriptional error, but figured the result was off by a factor of 1000.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (Δv) by the change in time (Δt). This can be written as a = Δv/Δt.

3. What is a constant velocity problem?

A constant velocity problem is a situation where an object is moving with a constant speed and direction. This means that the object's velocity does not change over time, so there is no acceleration.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of a ship with tugboats?

To calculate the acceleration of a ship with tugboats, you will need to know the mass of the ship (m), the force applied by the tugboats (F), and the direction of the force. Then, you can use the formula a = F/m to calculate the acceleration.

5. Can you have a constant velocity problem with tugboats?

Yes, it is possible to have a constant velocity problem with tugboats if the tugboats are exerting a force on the ship that is equal and opposite to the resistance force from the water. In this case, the ship will maintain a constant speed and direction, and there will be no acceleration.