1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Volume/Ideal Gas

1. Dec 15, 2004 #1
    Ok so I'm studying for my final tomorrow (AHH! I know!) and I'm going over gas laws. I have a problem giving me the starting pressure and temp and the final pressure, and its looking for the final temp. The volume is assumed to be constant. Now i know what to do if it was consant temp or pressure, Boyles law for constant temp and the Charles and Gay-Lussac (sp) for constant pressure. But what am I supposed to do for constant volume? Am I missing some law? I think it has something to do with ideal gas, maybe? But I'm not really sure. Is this even heading the right direction? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2
    If the problem is talking about ideal gas, gas law is PV = nRT.
    for a fixed amount of gas (fixed number of moles) at a fixed volume V, P is proportional to T ( R is a constant). So you have P1/T1 = P2/ T2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?