How do I solve for final temperature with a constant volume and ideal gas?

P1 = 1, T1 = 300, P2 = 2In summary, the conversation is about studying for a final exam, specifically going over gas laws. The problem at hand involves finding the final temperature given the starting pressure and temperature, and the final pressure, with the volume being assumed constant. The person knows how to handle situations with constant temperature or pressure, using Boyle's law and Charles and Gay-Lussac's law respectively. However, they are unsure of what to do for constant volume and wonder if there is another law involved, possibly related to ideal gas. The expert then suggests using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where for a fixed amount of gas at a fixed volume
koomba
Ok so I'm studying for my final tomorrow (AHH! I know!) and I'm going over gas laws. I have a problem giving me the starting pressure and temp and the final pressure, and its looking for the final temp. The volume is assumed to be constant. Now i know what to do if it was consant temp or pressure, Boyles law for constant temp and the Charles and Gay-Lussac (sp) for constant pressure. But what am I supposed to do for constant volume? Am I missing some law? I think it has something to do with ideal gas, maybe? But I'm not really sure. Is this even heading the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the problem is talking about ideal gas, gas law is PV = nRT.
for a fixed amount of gas (fixed number of moles) at a fixed volume V, P is proportional to T ( R is a constant). So you have P1/T1 = P2/ T2

Gamma

Hi there, it sounds like you're on the right track! For a constant volume and ideal gas situation, you can use the combined gas law, which combines Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law into one equation. The equation is P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P1 and T1 are the initial pressure and temperature, and P2 and T2 are the final pressure and temperature. You can rearrange the equation to solve for T2, the final temperature. Hope this helps and good luck on your final!

1. What is the constant volume/ideal gas law?

The constant volume/ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the absolute temperature of the gas.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law under all conditions. This means that it has no intermolecular forces, occupies no volume, and experiences no energy loss during collisions with other molecules.

3. How is the constant volume/ideal gas law used in real life?

The constant volume/ideal gas law is used in various industries, such as in the production of compressed air, refrigeration systems, and internal combustion engines. It is also used in the design and operation of gas-filled containers and for the study of atmospheric gases.

4. What are the limitations of the constant volume/ideal gas law?

The constant volume/ideal gas law assumes that the gas is at a constant temperature and that there are no intermolecular forces. In real-life situations, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to deviations from the predicted behavior.

5. How does the constant volume/ideal gas law relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The constant volume/ideal gas law is based on the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the pressure of a gas is a result of the random motion of its molecules. The constant volume/ideal gas law provides a mathematical representation of this relationship.