Can a Small Tank Solve the Problem of Fluctuating Water Pressure?

In summary, the poster is seeking suggestions for creating a water supply system that can provide a specified quantity of water regardless of changes in water pressure due to varying heights. They propose using a medium-sized tank with a small pipe connecting it to another tank at the same height to maintain a constant water level. The system would be controlled by a valve, but the poster is struggling to find a way to ensure a constant flow of water. Some suggestions are made, such as using pressure sensors and valves or a mechanical bar optics system, to achieve a consistent water flow. The poster is in need of a solution quickly as they have a proposal to submit in two days.
sfcd_123
hi i m new in this forum...n i have come to take some suggestion...

i m plaaning to make a water supply which willl give some specified guantity supply(like 500 ml,250 ml) everytime...bt the main problem occurring is the water pressure in the outlet...the water pressure is not same all the time because the height is changing...so is there any system or set up to keep the pressure same though the height is changing...

i have a plan...if i take a midium size tank and make hole at bottom and input a small dia pipe and take it to another small tank which have its top level is same of the bottom of previous tank..than the small tank will always filled with same height..so can i get constant water flow?the pipe will b small so i think the pressure of big tank will b less...please help quickly...

i have to submit this proposal in 2 days...please...:(:(

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not very clear on what you mean by the water pressure changing - is the outlet moving?

I'm thinking of an active system, with pressure sensors and valves.

Reminds me of a water clock where the flow of water (proportional to pressure) needed to be constant.

To quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_clock" :

"...water flowed from the top tank to the bottom tank via a float regulator that maintained a constant pressure in the receiving tank."

Last edited by a moderator:
i mean i should have constant water flow in a pipe from the small tank...i have to fullfill a glass of water same amount everytime approximately at sametime whether the pressure is different...thats why i need same flow of water..the flow of water will b controlled by a valve...

the water will be situated at a small tank and when i need water i just open the valve for a certain amount of time and the output must b same quantity everytime...

Why not just use a simple mechanical bar optics type system: Look at how 25ml and 50ml measures of spirits are dispensed at a pub. The same quantity of liquid is measured regardless of how full the bottle is.

This is achieved very simply with a measuring cylinder which is moved between two positions. The measuring cylinder has two valves: one on the top, and one on the bottom. With the cylinder in one position, the top valve is open and the bottom closed. (This allows fluid to flow from a higher reservoir into the cylinder to fill completely, and cannot be overfilled). The cylinder is then moved to its lower position, where the top valve closes and the bottom valve opens. (This stops the flow from the reservoir, and drains the contents of the cylinder into your chosen receptacle).

Easy.

What is constant water pressure?

Constant water pressure refers to the consistent pressure at which water is delivered through a plumbing system. This pressure is maintained by a pressure regulator, which ensures that the pressure remains within a specific range.

Why is constant water pressure important?

Constant water pressure is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures that water is delivered at a consistent rate, which is necessary for proper functioning of household appliances such as showers and washing machines. It also helps to prevent damage to pipes and fixtures by ensuring that the pressure remains within a safe range.

What factors can affect constant water pressure?

Several factors can affect constant water pressure, including the elevation of the water source, the design and size of the plumbing system, and the number of simultaneous water users. Changes in these factors can result in fluctuations in water pressure.

How can I maintain constant water pressure in my home?

To maintain constant water pressure in your home, it is important to have a properly functioning pressure regulator and to regularly check for any leaks or clogs in your plumbing system. You can also install a pressure tank, which helps to stabilize water pressure by storing excess water.

What are the potential consequences of low or high water pressure?

Low water pressure can result in inadequate water flow, making it difficult to perform basic tasks such as showering or washing dishes. High water pressure can cause damage to pipes and appliances, and can also result in water waste and higher utility bills. It is important to maintain a steady and safe water pressure in your home.