Understanding Special & General Relativity: Inertial vs. Gravitational Frames

In summary: In other words, are you saying that the OP was not actually proposing to treat curved spacetime as a collection of infinitesimal flat planes, or that you're disagreeing about what the OP meant by "flat planes"?I'm not sure if there's a contradiction, but I think the OP meant something closer to what @Dale said.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I know this is a naive question that has almost certainly been brought up numerous times before, but my search abilities seem not to be sufficient for finding a good answer, so if anyone just refers me, that would be fine. The question: Special relativity concerns comparisons between pairs of inertial reference frames, whereas general relativity deals with accelerated reference frames (equivalent to the presence of mass). Acceleration can be seen as an infinite number of velocities, each over an infinitesimal piece of spacetime. So why cannot we derive the laws for an accelerated reference frame by treating it as an infinite number of inertial reference frames over an infinitesimal section of spacetime? That is, why is general relativity not derivable from special?

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
Special relativity concerns comparisons between pairs of inertial reference frames, whereas general relativity deals with accelerated reference frames (equivalent to the presence of mass)
You can certainly handle accelerated reference frames in special relativity. What you cannot handle is curved spacetime (tidal gravity).

Likes nomadreid
Special relativity works fine with accelerated reference frames, it just makes equations more complicated.
Only the introduction of gravity makes general relativity necessary.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Dale and mfb. Then, to modify the question:
(1) to Dale, why can't curved spacetime be treated as a infinite collection of infinitesimal sections of flat spacetime, analogous to treating the surface of a sphere as an infinite collection of infinitesimal planes?
(2) If gravity is equivalent to an accelerated frame, then if SR can handle accelerated reference frames, why can't it handle gravity?

nomadreid said:
If gravity is equivalent to an accelerated frame
Only locally, not globally. Locally, you can always use special relativity, but you can't use it for the whole system.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, mfb. Gives me food for thought and impulse for more reading.

nomadreid said:
why can't curved spacetime be treated as a infinite collection of infinitesimal sections of flat spacetime, analogous to treating the surface of a sphere as an infinite collection of infinitesimal planes?
You can, but you don’t gain anything by doing so. At the junction between each plane you would have to do the equivalent of parallel transport anyway, and that is the thing that makes curved spacetime strange. Nothing in SR would tell you how to do that.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
analogous to treating the surface of a sphere as an infinite collection of infinitesimal planes?

In order to do this, you need to know the connection between the planes at different points on the sphere--in other words, how to map vectors in the plane at one point to vectors in the plane at another point. Nothing in the geometry of the planes themselves tells you how to do that.

This is the same thing @Dale said, just in different words.

Likes nomadreid and Dale
Thanks very much, Dale and PeterDonis. I had not thought about parallel transport, aka the role of the curvature in the infinite sum. Enlightening.

PeterDonis said:
In order to do this, you need to know the connection between the planes at different points
And this is why the connection coefficients are so named, right? This is what they do (well, strictly they operate on the tangent spaces).

Likes nomadreid
Ibix said:
this is why the connection coefficients are so named, right?

Yes.

Ibix said:
This is what they do (well, strictly they operate on the tangent spaces).

The "planes" being referred to are the tangent spaces.

Likes nomadreid and Ibix
PeterDonis said:
The "planes" being referred to are the tangent spaces.
Hm. I'd thought of the tangent spaces as some flat vector space associated with a point on the manifold. But what the OP seemed to me to be proposing was breaking the manifold into an infinite number of small flat planes - and I didn't think that was quite the same thing as the tangent spaces.

Are we disagreeing on what the tangent spaces are, or on what the OP meant?

Likes nomadreid
Ibix said:
I'd thought of the tangent spaces as some flat vector space associated with a point on the manifold.

That's correct.

Ibix said:
what the OP seemed to me to be proposing was breaking the manifold into an infinite number of small flat planes

If the OP meant actually trying to "break up" the manifold itself into flat planes, that's impossible. The manifold isn't flat, it's curved, and the curvature is continuous.

I had assumed the OP was (clumsily) trying to get at the concept of tangent spaces. At any rate, that's the only well-defined concept I'm aware of that corresponds to "flat planes" at each point of the manifold.

Likes nomadreid and Ibix
PeterDonis said:
If the OP meant actually trying to "break up" the manifold itself into flat planes, that's impossible. The manifold isn't flat, it's curved, and the curvature is continuous.
Well, perhaps rather than "break up" I should say I think he was trying to regard the manifold as the limiting case of a set of small flat vector spaces. Like regarding a sphere as some kind of limiting case of an n-faced polyhedron (see #4).

Not sure, then, if there's a contradiction between what you said in #8 and @Dale said in #7 (which I read as based on the interpretation I made in my previous paragraph), or if we're all trapped in a maze of misinterpreting each other.

Likes nomadreid
Ibix said:
I should say I think he was trying to regard the manifold as the limiting case of a set of small flat vector spaces.

If that's the case, then the tangent spaces are what you get in the limit, so he's basically referring to the tangent spaces anyway.

Ibix said:
Not sure, then, if there's a contradiction between what you said in #8 and @Dale said in #7

I don't think so; in the limit, the "junction" between each of the adjacent small flat planes just becomes the continuous curvature of the manifold, and the "equivalent of the connection" that you would need to do at each junction just becomes the connection coefficients in the continuous curved manifold.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks to Ibix and PeterDonis for that helpful discussion. I think that PeterDonis used the correct term in describing my attempts when he wrote "clumsily" ; yes, what I was trying to get at was the connections on the tangent spaces, but my background in differential geometry is very weak. It is obvious that I need to do some more reading in the topic, but as the topic is huge, this gives me a direction to aim for. Thanks again!

1. What is the difference between inertial and gravitational frames in special and general relativity?

Inertial frames are frames of reference that are not subject to any external forces. In special relativity, these frames are used to describe motion in the absence of gravitational fields. Gravitational frames, on the other hand, are frames of reference that are subject to gravitational forces. In general relativity, these frames are used to describe motion in the presence of gravitational fields.

2. How does time dilation occur in special and general relativity?

In special relativity, time dilation occurs due to differences in relative velocities between two observers. The faster an observer is moving relative to another, the slower time will appear to pass for them. In general relativity, time dilation is also affected by the presence of a gravitational field. The stronger the gravitational field, the slower time will appear to pass for an observer within it.

3. Can you explain the concept of length contraction in special and general relativity?

In special relativity, length contraction occurs when an object is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This causes the object to appear shorter in the direction of motion. In general relativity, length contraction is also affected by the presence of a gravitational field. Objects in stronger gravitational fields will appear shorter to an observer within the field.

4. How does the theory of special and general relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of special and general relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe. It has provided a framework for understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds and in the presence of gravity. It has also led to the development of important theories such as the Big Bang theory and the concept of black holes.

5. What are some practical applications of special and general relativity?

Special and general relativity have many practical applications in modern technology. For example, GPS systems use the principles of special relativity to accurately calculate the positions of satellites in orbit. General relativity has also been used to explain the phenomenon of gravitational lensing, which has practical applications in astronomy and astrophysics.