Can a Magnet Move Constantly Without Any External Force?

• Thread starter richie9648
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, it is possible to make a magnet move constantly up and down, without touching it or forcing it to move, by using it in an airtight tube. This is useful for applications that require movement in a vacuum, but is not possible in air.
richie9648
Is it possible to make a magnet move constantly up and down, insider a container for example, without touching it or forcing it to move?

I don't know much about Physics but wanted to ask this question as its been bothering me for a few days!

I was thinking about how magnets may repel and attract each other and by having magnet at both ends of a container or tube, a magnet in the middle may constantly move due to this attract/repel effect

Is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a vacuum, maybe. In air, absolutely not. Conservation of energy + air resistance = no way jose.

Are there any applications that use it in a vacuum? What if the magnets are in an air tight tube?

The question appears to me to be a logical contradiction. How can you "make" anything move without "forcing" it to move?

Theoretically, an object on a spring would bounce up and down forever if there were no friction, but it still requires a force to get it moving in the first place.

Thanks Russ. I was thinking along the same lines.

Further, even assuming you had a magnet, say in a tube with say, Bismuth ends so that no matter which pole faces it the pole is repelled, and this magnet is already moving towards one pole or the other, sooner or later due to hysteresis losses and the plain old dampening effect that it implies the magent in the center will come to rest somewhere between the two extremes without some outside action.

Otherwise it would be a perpetual motion machine. (From the perspective of say a Rankin Cycle a clear impossibility.)

I thought that it is ok for something to move from one point to another until infinity, but it can't ever do useful work while doing so... or give you more work back then what you put into it - that would be a violation.

so i think, to answer the question the poster had: If you theoretically created a PERFECT vacuum, displaced the magnet in the middle by some distance (hence put in some potential energy), and then let it go, then yes, it would bounce around forever, converting always between potential energy and kinetic energy. Its not really useful though :)

Mephisto. That would seem to be correct, but it not only requires a perfect vacuum, but perfect elasticity in the magnetics.

In other words the magnetic materials can have no hysterysis losses. Can't convert some tiny percentage of the force they receive into heat, nor electricity, nor expansion, nor compression, nor motive or nuclear forces strong or weak of any kind.

Given that, yes it would bounce forever. But in the real world we can't build any such materials yet. And even if we could good old Heisenburg would start spinning in his grave if we thought we could monitor such a perfect confluence without disturbing it.

An accelerating charge radiates, does an accelerating magnet also radiate?

russ_watters said:
The question appears to me to be a logical contradiction. How can you "make" anything move without "forcing" it to move?

Easy, Just change the frame of reference.

For example: you can make the Sun move by making the Earth stationary :smile:

What is a constantly moving magnet?

A constantly moving magnet is a magnet that is continuously in motion, either rotating or travelling in a straight line. This movement can be caused by a number of factors, including the rotation of the Earth, the movement of an electrical current, or the manipulation of magnetic fields.

How does a constantly moving magnet work?

A constantly moving magnet works by creating a changing magnetic field around itself as it moves. This changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in nearby conductive materials, and can also interact with other magnetic fields to produce various effects.

What are some examples of constantly moving magnets?

Some examples of constantly moving magnets include the Earth's magnetic field, which is constantly moving due to the rotation of the Earth, and generators, which use rotating magnets to produce electricity. Other examples include magnetic levitation trains and MRI machines, which use constantly moving magnets to produce motion and images.

What are the applications of constantly moving magnets?

Constantly moving magnets have a wide range of applications in various industries and technologies. They are used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to create motion, and in medical imaging equipment for diagnostics. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of many electronic devices, such as speakers and hard drives.

How can constantly moving magnets be controlled or manipulated?

Constantly moving magnets can be controlled or manipulated through the use of different materials and techniques. For example, the strength and direction of a magnetic field can be altered by using different types of magnets or by changing the current in an electrical circuit. Magnetic shielding and other materials can also be used to control the effects of constantly moving magnets.