Constants in chemcial reaction

In summary: The author computed heat transfer coefficients for the various parts of the equation. However, they didn't state what value to use for Cv.
saltine

Homework Statement

This is an example from a book. I am having trouble in substituting the numbers to get the given result.

Homework Equations

3144674953_011c70185c_o.jpg

The bar notation is to indicate the operating point. The subscript A is for the reactant A (which reacts and becomes product B in a A->B reaction). The subscript i stands for the input. So [tex]c_{A_i}[/tex] means the concentration of A entering the reactor.

fc is the flow rate of the coolant
Tci is the temperature of the coolant going in
Tc is the temperature of the coolant going out

f is the flow rate of the reactant going in
Ti is the temperature of the reactant going in
cAi is the concentration of the reactant going in
T is the temperature of the reactant going out
cA is the concentration of the reactant going out

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that when I plug in the values, I don't get 2.07 for [tex]\tau_1[/tex]. I first assumed that [tex]\bar{f} = f= 1.3364[/tex] and [tex]\bar{T}_{\bar{c}_A} = 678.9[/tex]. But I got [tex]\tau_1 = 0.5148[/tex].

I assumed that my [tex]\bar{f}[/tex] was correct, so I set [tex]\tau_1=2.07[/tex] and rearranged the equation to solve for [tex]\bar{T}_{\bar{c}_A}[/tex].

[tex]\bar{T}_{\bar{c}_A} = -\frac{E}{R}(ln(\frac{1-\frac{\tau_1 \bar{f}}{V}}{2\tau_1 k_o}))^{-1}[/tex] . . . (2)

When I do that I got [tex]\bar{T}_{\bar{c}_A} = 631[/tex], which doesn't match any of the given temperature. So I thought [tex]\bar{f}[/tex] might be 0.8771. And I got [tex]\bar{T}_{\bar{c}_A} = 633[/tex], which still doesn't match any number.

I have tried some other equations but I couldn't get any result to match. Since I don't have a background in studying chemical reactions, I was suspecting that there is something fundamental that I am missing here.

Do you know how the author got 2.07 for [tex]\tau_1[/tex]?

- Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Saltine! :smile:

Look at the dimensions …

it isn't e(-E/RTcA)

it's (e(-E/RT))cA :wink:

That is right!

A second problem:

3145242921_52ddb6c5fa_o.jpg

Now I am trying to verify T2. Here, Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume of the reaction mixture (Unit of Cv: Btu/lb-°R). However, the book did not give its value. This is the same for other examples where it seems that every other value is listed, except the Cv. Is it directly derivable from the other values?

U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, assumed to be constant, Btu/ft²-°R-min
A is heat transfer area, ft²
∆Hr is the heat of reaction, Btu/lbmole of A reacted
rA is the rate of reaction

I first computed [tex]\bar{r}_A = 0.03938[/tex]. Since Cv is just alone in the numerator, I first evaluated T2 without using Cv and got 0.2833. Therefore,

Cv = -7.96 / 0.2833 = -28.10 Btu/lb-°R

There is nowhere else in this particular example where Cv is used, so I couldn't check Cv in another way. Does it make sense that Cv is negative? This is an exothermic reaction. The problem didn't state this, but I suppose it is since coolant is used.

1. What are constants in chemical reactions?

Constants in chemical reactions are values that remain unchanged throughout the reaction. They are usually physical or chemical properties of the substances involved, such as temperature, pressure, and concentration.

2. Why are constants important in chemical reactions?

Constants are important in chemical reactions because they help to predict the outcome of a reaction and determine the conditions under which the reaction will occur. They also allow scientists to compare and analyze different reactions.

3. How are constants determined in chemical reactions?

Constants are determined through experimentation and observation. Scientists carefully control and measure the variables in a reaction and use the resulting data to calculate the constants.

4. Can constants change during a chemical reaction?

No, constants cannot change during a chemical reaction. They remain fixed and are used to describe the behavior of the reactants and products before, during, and after the reaction.

5. What is the role of constants in balancing chemical equations?

Constants play a crucial role in balancing chemical equations. They help to ensure that the same number of each type of atom is present on both sides of the equation, and they also help to determine the correct coefficients for each substance.