1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constants with variables

1. Dec 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if a value has a variables that cancel out can it be considered a constant?

looking to make an equation out of proportionality statements

2. Relevant equations
    this is the equation that we are supposed to get: f=√((F)/(4∏2mr))

the 3 proportionality where f2=kF , f= k(1/m) and f= k(1/r)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    i have reached here : f2= k(F/m2r2)

k being a constant, can its value be : k= (mr)/(4∏2)

so that the values cancel out giving you the required equation?
    and would it still be considered a constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    It is possible that a combination of variables will be a constant for the situation at hand.
    But that is not the case for your problem.

You are supposed to get to: $$f=\sqrt{ \frac{F}{4\pi^2mr}}\qquad\text{...(1)}$$... (check that - it does not look right to me) from: $$\begin{align}f^2\propto F & \qquad\text{...(2)}\\ f\propto \frac{1}{m} & \qquad\text{...(3)}\\ f\propto \frac{1}{r} & \qquad\text{...(4)} \end{align}$$

You get $$f^2=k\frac{F^2}{m^2r^2}$$ and ask:
    ... No - it cannot be.

##k## has to be a constant - I don't expect that the product ##mr## is a constant

You have another step to perform before you put in the constant of proportionality.
    You want to find an equation for ##f## and what you have so far is an equation for ##f^2##.
    What do you have to do to your equation to turn it into an equation for ##f##?

Edit:
    I think I see your problem - which is why I suggest you check the first equation.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. Dec 15, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the answer!

The first equation gives the magnitude of the force in uniform circular acceleration it was rearranged from: F=4∏2mrf2 this equation i believe is universally known and accepted so i have my doubts that it is wrong

we got the relationships from test result graphs, by using proportionalities im 90% sure they re correct, the only one that im questioning right now is f2=kF which also equals f=k√F

and i believe that that the equation you rearranged from the proportionalities was incorrect
    it becomes :

f2= k*(F/m2r2)

where the F wont be squared

5. Dec 15, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your proportionalities f∝1/m and f∝1/r cannot be right, as is evident from the actual equation.
    Yes, I think Simon made a typo.

6. Dec 15, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

...oh yeah - got carried away with the "^2"'s - that's a good catch: it is exceedingly rare that I make a typo at all in these forums ;)

Too late to edit the original - I'll correct it here: $$f^2=k\frac{F}{m^2r^2}$$... better?

BTW: I intended just to copy your work out in a clearer way - I did not do any derivation.

Looking at post #2: if (1) is correct an unimpeachable, then (3) and (4) cannot be right.
    Should f be squared in both those relations?

If (3) and (4) are relations well supported by your experiment, then your experiment does not support (1). That is an acceptable conclusion.

Not every experiment will support the accepted equations - experiments will conclude by whatever their data supports. How the data got that way in your special case is another issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted