Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Constrained Dynamics

1. Apr 9, 2017 #1
    I need a brief introduction to constrained dynamics. Any article, paper or books will help. If you know sources related to that matter, please tell me...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #2
    When you say "constrained dynamics," what do you mean? Dynamics with one or more forces of constraint acting?

4. Apr 9, 2017 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You realise that there is a great deal on this topic - could you add some <ahem> constraints to your requirements so we can narrow it down?
    I mean, they are all "sources related to the matter" ... there's literally millions of publications that fall under, "any article, paper, or books".

What do you need this for? What we give you will be different if you need it for a job or for self-study... or something else.
    It will also be different depending on your current education level, and if you need a computer-oriented introduction or a more analytical/theoretical introduction.

At college level ... The Springer series is usually good ... https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/BFb0036225 ... but I would usually suggest soething shorter and cheaper like https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~baraff/pbm/constraints.pdf and online lecture series for the first look, then you narrow down your search from there.

5. Apr 9, 2017 #4
    I understand "basic" Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, but I don't get the understanding about constraint. Constraint of the first kind, constraint of the second kind... What is that?

6. Apr 9, 2017 #5
    Maybe some books of classical mechanics with constraints for undergraduate theoretical physics student will help. Thanks.

7. Apr 9, 2017 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you have a look at the suggestions?

Senior undergrad would include Lagrangian mechanics and the principle of least action - that what you are looking for?
    Next level down would basically be differential equations with boundary/initial values.
    Basically all the physics you do in secondary school is classical mechanics with constraints... it's just not formally delivered that way.
    If you want to know this stuff for a course you are taking at college level, then you should use the text book for the course.

To give you an idea of what is involved - see Susskind's lectures on classical mechanics.

... see what you think.

8. Apr 10, 2017 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted