1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constrained extrema

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

These are two problems from my assignment that are due tomorrow! Plz, help as you can.

1)Show that f(x,y) = (y - x)(y - 3x^2) attains a local minimum on every straight line through the origin and that this occurs at (0,0). Does f have a local minimum at (0,0)?

2)Assuming that f_x and f_y both exist at (x,y), prove that if

[itex]\lim_{(h,k)\rightarrow(0,0)}\dfrac{f(x+h, y) - f(x,y) - f_{x}(x,y)h - f_{y}(x,y)k}{\sqrt{h^2 + k^2}}[/itex]

exists, the limit is 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first one I tried Lagrange's multipliers but became a mess with all the algebra, leaving me with the impression that this might be done more easily using something that I might have missed in class.

For the 2nd one, honestly, no clue. I left my assignment for the last day, because I had so many other stuff to do. Now I'm really in trouble. Thanks for all your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2
    #2 is done! It wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. #1 still hurts. I just don't know what to do. Help plz.
  4. Oct 19, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see why. The gradient of [itex](y - x)(y - 3x^2)[/itex] is [itex][(-y-3x^2)-6x(y-x)]\vec{i}+ [2y-x-3x^2]\vec{j}[/itex] while we can write the condition y= mx as G(x,y)= y- mx= 0 and its gradient is [itex]-m\vec{i}+ \vec{j}[/itex]. Lagranges multiplier method gives you two equations: [itex](y-3x^2)-6x(y-x)= -\lambda m[/itex] and [itex]2y-x-3x^2= \lambda[/itex]. Divide one equation by the other to get rid of [itex]\lambda[/itex] (that's a standard technique), then replace y with mx and it reduces to a quadratic equation to solve for x (in terms of m, of course).
  5. Oct 19, 2007 #4
    But how do you make sure that (0,0) gives the min?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?