What are the constraint forces on a circle with a particle?

In summary, when a particle is constrained to move on a circle, the constraint forces include tension force and a possible central force, depending on the method of constraint. The forces acting on the string are the tension force, which acts on the pivot where the string is bound, and the same force acting on the hand. The question of how these constraint forces will affect a tangential force applied to the particle is not clear and requires further clarification.
usljoo
when a particle is constraint to move on a circle, what are the constraint forces

Physics news on Phys.org
when a particle is constraint to move on a circle, what are the constraint forces

What is the particle?

What forces do you know that can act on particles?
Could any of these provide a 'central force'?

This depends upon HOW the particle is constrained to move in a circle. If the particle is attached to a circular track, the answer is obvious. If the particle is an electron going around a positive charge, the answer is also obvious but not the same as before.

Frankly, this looks like a question at the end of a chapter of a basic science text- where they are really testing whether you have read the chapter!

usljoo said:

usljoo, you know the procedure by now …

you tell us what you think the answer is,

and then we comment! :smile:

ok look at the attachment

Attachments

• circle eqa.doc
    131.5 KB · Views: 241
my mac doesn't do .doc

how long can it be? :confused: can't you find the time to type it out for us? :redface:

i hope ur mac does pdf :P

Attachments

• circle eqa.pdf
    62.8 KB · Views: 226
i don't understand what your .pdf has to do with the question :confused:
usljoo said:

Looking at your diagram I think I understand your question.

Unfortunately, taking your posts in this thread and your previous one, you seem to have a basic misunderstanding about circular motion.

And this is the reason why it is harder to apply a force like on the picture to a circle of smaller radius and that is because there will be a component of the centripetal force that is opposite to the applied force F on the picture and that’s why torque gets smaller with r.

There is no way that F has anything to do with motion around the circle you have drawn.

None of this is meant as a personal criticism; I really am trying to help.

You did not bother to answer my previous question. All my questions are designed to help and further understanding.

Have a look at this recent thread, where I like to think the OP went away with a better understanding and achieved something for himself.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=468864

Now just answer this simple question.

If you take a string and pull it out taught so it is under tension, what are the forces acting in the string and on the string?
Can you draw a simple diagram?

Studiot said:
Looking at your diagram I think I understand your question.

Unfortunately, taking your posts in this thread and your previous one, you seem to have a basic misunderstanding about circular motion.

There is no way that F has anything to do with motion around the circle you have drawn.

None of this is meant as a personal criticism; I really am trying to help.

You did not bother to answer my previous question. All my questions are designed to help and further understanding.

Have a look at this recent thread, where I like to think the OP went away with a better understanding and achieved something for himself.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=468864

Now just answer this simple question.

If you take a string and pull it out taught so it is under tension, what are the forces acting in the string and on the string?
Can you draw a simple diagram?

the forces on the string are the tension force witch acts on the pivot where you binded the string and the same acts also on your hand but i don't see what this has anything to do witch my question

im asking you under these constraints that i have drawn and when you apply a tangential force F as shown what are the forces of the constraint and how will they affect my force F

the forces on the string are the tension force witch acts on the pivot

This doesn't make sense. Is the force acting on the string or the pivot? I actually asked about the string.

You really need to pay attention to what is said.

Did you draw a diagram?

And, yes, the question has direct relevance, which will become clear.

well look man i really am no beginner here and the question is far from trivial so don't ask me these questions about the string because you didnt get my question i think better tell me what the forces of constraints are

go well

What is a constraint force on a circle?

A constraint force on a circle is a force that acts on an object moving along a circular path, keeping it constrained to that path.

What causes constraint forces on a circle?

Constraint forces on a circle are caused by the object's motion along a curved path. These forces are necessary to keep the object moving along the circular path and prevent it from deviating from that path.

How are constraint forces on a circle calculated?

Constraint forces on a circle can be calculated using the principles of circular motion, including centripetal force, radius, and velocity. These forces can be determined using mathematical equations and vector diagrams.

What is the difference between centripetal force and constraint force on a circle?

Centripetal force is a type of constraint force that specifically refers to the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. Constraint forces on a circle, on the other hand, can refer to any force that constrains an object's motion to a circular path.

How do constraint forces on a circle affect an object's motion?

Constraint forces on a circle affect an object's motion by providing the necessary force to keep it moving along a circular path. These forces also determine the object's speed and direction of motion along the path.