1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constraint relations

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5505/systemet4.jpg

What I wish to do is to relate the accelerations of the loop an the massive block. I know the angle theta at any instant. I also know that the acceleration of the loop on the fixed support is a. I have been given no other information except the figure and I have to write out the acceleration of the block.
    My teacher says its a cos theta

But I cannot express the expression of the block in just two variable of a and theta. I also need the perpendicular distance of the fixed support from the pulley.

please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    Referring to the diagram:

The Perpendicular distance from the pulley to the axis of the ring is say a constant L. The part
    of the string that is being pulled (variable) is say y. The movement of the ring on the X-axis is also changing (variable) and we take it as x.

Now, using the hypotenuse theorem (!) :

[tex] x^2+ L^2 = y^2 [/tex]

what we want is now the instantaneous change of the variable x and y with respect to time and the way to find that is by differentiating:

[tex]2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 0 = 2y\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

or [tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{x}{y} . \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

From the diagram [tex] \frac{x}{y} = cos\theta [/tex]

therefore . [tex] v_{ring} = v_{block} . cos\theta [/tex]

We can say now that:

[tex] a_{ring} = a_{block} . cos\theta [/tex]

Hope that solves it.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?